What are my options ?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Click Click 9 yrs ago
For the last three years every summer without fail my neighbor's air con leaks. During this time I can't open my windows or put my washing out to dry. Each year I report it to FEHD, each year they arrive take a look with note pad in hand. ARGHHH Groundhog day !! The summer of 2015 the problem still continues. Today FEHD have reported back to me that the neighbor is just cleaning their air con. Talk about jerking the FEHD around or what." Cleaning the air con ". Cleaning the air con for the last few years every day ? This really isn't funny. FEHD have the power to take action with a $ 10,000 fine for this kind of nuisance .Is there anything under the law that a Lawyer can do for me and my situation ?
P.S. I have video of the air con from above leaking dirty air con water down my windows.

Thank you

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
StrawberryPie 9 yrs ago
I think a lawyer would be a waste of money.

Video tape the water leaking, and then use a white cloth to wipe your window to show how dirty it is. Call FEHD overtime it happens.

Click Click 9 yrs ago
Hi Strawberrypie,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, you are correct seems a Lawyer can't do much for this situation. But the Office Of The Ombudsman can put pressure on FEHD. I will keep you posted.

scorpio01 9 yrs ago
FEHD are utterly useless
at least for me they are

i had water leakage from neighbor, and it took 7 years for them to pressurize the neighbor to fix it.
had a garbage issue with building management, and nothing happened ever.

1983 9 yrs ago
+1 on how useless these guys are. I had a similar issue that went on for several months without any change. If you haven't already, try getting the estate agents or security guards to note down the occurrences, not that it helped in my case but it may move things along when dealing with the FEHD again this time. If they can confirm this, they should be able to send an abatement letter or something like that which gives the offending tenant some time to fix it before they are fined.

It didn't get that far with my issue, although they did ignore the first few visits from the FEHD with the officers just standing around and scratching their heads.
After months of this I decided to go up and confront the upstairs neighbor. It wasn't easy, i kept thinking i might end up on the news for fighting with my neighbor or something embarrassing and awkward like getting into a shouting match in the middle of the hallway for all to witness.
I was able to control my temper and not go off on the guy for being a dick, despite him claiming they never talked to the management office or saw the numerous notices they sent to their mailbox and acted like he was totally unaware of the inconvenience caused by this. He said he would get it done, even then it took a couple more days and still it wasn't done right since the pipe they used to clear the water directed it a few feet away from the aircon but still hitting pipes outside my apartment and causing some noise and splashing water near a different window but on a smaller overall area.

The FEHD said this time they were not able to do anything about this because it wasn't dripping on the air conditioner anymore. I couldn't get an explanation but the guy claimed he would come back on a Saturday (the branch that handles this stuff only works weekdays) and gave me an extension to the department which he claimed was his private number and didn't actually work. These guys are useless and totally unprofessional when it comes to dealing with people who don't wish to cooperate with them. Why do you think so many dripping airconditioners around town, and they have the audacity to claim on their website they have a 100% success rate in dealing with these things.

Try talking to the upstairs neighbor, i doubt anyone who lets something like this continue over several years will be reasonable enough to listen but you never know. If you do get a lawyer, have them look into the sheer incompetence of the FEHD and their total inability to deal with things they are supposed to be handling.

Click Click 9 yrs ago
Dear All,
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on this situation.
Now that the Ombudsman is on the case ( we have some movement )
FEHD have put their coffee cups down and have taken their feet off the table.
Oh yes !
FEHD have even gone so far as leaving their cool office.
Yes, there if life at the FEHD.
Let's see.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad