Air conditioner broken for over a month- can I refuse to pay rent?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mirau83 9 yrs ago
My air conditioner in my luxury high rise building broke over a month ago in the dead heat of HK summer. My landlord has been extremely slack about the entire situation and has not accommodated me in any requests such as: a)fixing it ASAP b)opening the door and staying with the technician for 2-3 hours while they fix and c)reimbursing me while I hired my maid to sit in my apartment while this was taken care of. There are a couple of variables in this situation. The air conditioner ran out of fuel and in order to fill up the tank, the technician had to build a scaffolding to climb to the side of the building which takes time. I understand this. Also, after telling me a specific time to have my maid there, they ended up canceling and I ended up paying for her wasted time when the landlord messed up the time. And he refuses to reimburse me. Is this normal? Over a month later of battles, the AC is still not fixed and I can barely sleep at night. Could I withhold rent and have a peaceful outcome? Pls advise!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sunshine929 9 yrs ago
You need to put it in writing and post it to him /email him.

It is his obligation to fix the aircon. I assumed you paid first. If it was me, I would deduct the amount due to you including hiring of maid from the rental receipt.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad