Building Renovations Causing Damage to Flat

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dizzyhytes 10 yrs ago
My building has been undergoing major renovations/facelift for the past year. While I am of course in favour of this and am having to contribute financially as one of the owners, the renovations itself has caused quite a lot of damage to my flat. Examples are:

1. Large cracks on walls and parts of the plaster have fallen off the walls inside my flat from the hacking off of the external facade.

2. My kitchen counter (which is attached on one side to the kitchen wall) has sunk, probably because the side wall has sunk.

3. My bedroom wall is panelled with wood and a large part which is sharing the external wall has big dark patches of damp, with mould growing on it. As a result I think I will have to rip out the wooden panelling altogether.

These are just examples of the damage to my flat, and I now need to find a contractor to fix all of it.

My question is, do I have grounds to claim on the contractor who is handling the building renovation, or at least insist that they fix all the damage? If so what is the process to enforce this? Should I get external counsel and can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced lawyer to help me?

I have been without a job for a couple of years now and these are proving to be quite hefty expenses which I can little afford.

Thanks in advance.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Greene King 10 yrs ago
Dizzyhytes,

If I was in your position what I would do is take photographs of each item you mention for record. I'd then contact the building's management company and ask that they inspect and that they formally communicate with the contractor. Depending on the building management company & contractor's responses I would think about employing a competent building surveyor to undertake a survey and write a report and I'd take follow on action as required ie perhaps hire a lawyer if the report points the finger at the contractor?
Of course that is what I would do, others may take a different approach...

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad