High Chair - Tips

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Shipps 18 yrs ago
Hi Everyone !

My son is 13 months old and till now I have been feeding him, and now want him to independantly start picking and eating some food.

I have heard about kids who refuse to sit on the high chair.

I want to know if its a good idea to make him sit on high chair or any type of sitting chair would do.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
my thoughts 18 yrs ago
For us, having a high chair has been invaluable and our daughter is a champ at sitting and finishing her meal. She's contained, she's comfortable (everything's at the right height), she's safe. Many of her friends have turned mealtime into a circus act, they've gotten used to being able to stand up in the chair, run around before they're finished....some discipline issues probably, but for us having a good highchair has made it all far easier.

We're onto our 3rd chair now btw, we started out with a Peg Perego (Prima Pappa), which was a mistake, it never fit our petite little one well despite loads of towels, then got the Fisher Price (Healthy Care), which was great, and for the last year she's been in a Stokke, which is fabulous, it really helps them to sit properly and it will grow with her until she can sit comfortably in an adult's chair.

asriah 18 yrs ago
Our son (who's also 13mths) has been using the high chair for months now. Though I'll be the first one to admit he's no angel when it comes to table manners, I can vouch that he enjoys sitting in during our meals - him being in the high chair allows us to have our meals @ the same time. The paediatrician also says sitting in during meals allows him to see what other people are eating & prompts him to try out new food - I now feed him whatever we eat, provided it's of the right consistency (finger food like steamed veg, bread, rice etc).

Babies do make quite a mess, so I strongly suggest a high chair that comes with its own little table with a detacheable top for easy cleaning. & Oh - one with 5point harness is vital, especially now that your baby's very mobile & likely to twist & turn & try to climb out ...

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I agree with the above posters - High chairs are invaluable - you'll feel better when your child is in one as well - it's much better to focus on actually getting food into your little one's mouth instead of trying to make sure they aren't going to topple over, climb on the table or just fall in general...so with those things in mind, definitely get one that can be cleaned easily. I started with a Fisher Price and my daughter used it from 6 months (started solids at 6) until she was 19 months old when I also moved to a Stokke like My thoughts. (great minds think alike?) I loved the fisher price because it was relatively inexpensive compared to the peg perego, easy to clean, easy to adjust, and just handy in general. Everything can be washed included the seat cover, which comes in handy when they start doing CRAZY things with the food...

Stokke is also great after they are older - some people say you can use it as early as 15 months, but I didn't think my daughter's balance was all that great so I waited a bit....

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Hi joshmomm--we "graduated" to the Stokke just after her second birthday. I wasn't sure when to move up and then we spent 2 weeks using her godsisters Stokke in London and she was great in it--without the guardrail even, but I was sure to keep her in sight.

btw, as asriah mentioned, ours started becoming much much more adventurous about food once she was included in our mealtimes. Eating along with her hasn't helped ME lose that last 2 kg, but has done wonders for HER diet....

MayC 18 yrs ago
I think I may look into Stokke.

I bought Peg Perego from Bumps to Babes and right after purchasing it, I heard from some mothers that the table could be quite high for the little one. So true... I had to put a cushion underneath her... but she's old enough now not to need it. It's great for safety but due to its size, I wish I had got her something smaller and cheaper from Ikea.

Most kids don't like to be restrained. But you could put toys on the table to make it fun for them. I've now replaced the toys with a variety of food that she can self feed herself with. That keeps her interested too.

crj 18 yrs ago
What age did you start using the high chair?

We tried the other day, but didn't really work that well yet.... (we were given one for free, not a great fit so he was sliding around a bit)

Thanks

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Ours stayed in her bouncy chair or carseat bucket (protected with towels!) until she could sit well, was comfortable and stable in a highchair. I have pictures of her in her Healthy Care at 8 mo, so she'd "upgraded" by then :-).

mum of 2 18 yrs ago
Started using the Stokke (Tripp Trapp) from 6 months - with the guard rail. Still using both of them (4 year old and 18 month old). My son is like Houdini in every other highchair but still cannot escape from the Tripp Trapp.

Nappypooh 18 yrs ago
We started using the high chair by 9 or 10 months I think, she just like sitting with us at the table while we eat and now she can even point when she wants to try out somethings that is not in her plate but she'd like to try ;-) She'll be 13 months next week. But I still don't let her eat by herself, I'm still didn't work out the courage to clean out after it... :-D

Katetam 18 yrs ago
both my babies use highchair at 5 months... first one used the highchair until around 15 months, then she prefer to sit with us at the table LIKE adults do, so I had to upgrade her to the Safety First booster seat. It's great b/c she gets to sit together with us like the rest of us, AND the booster is deflatable if we need to take it to restaurants we know that do not have booster seats. She's almost 3, we're still using it everyday.

My 7 month old still loves the Peg Perego Highchair, will see how long he will stay in it.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
I just got a photo from my friend of her daughter sitting in her Tripp Trapp at 9 mo. You may all know this already, but that was the first I'd seen the highback option for younger children. That, with the retaining rail in the front and the strap between the legs, looked quite comfy.

Though mine really did like smearing her food around a conventional high chair tray at that age :-)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad