Intensive Cantonese Course

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by SallyT 18 yrs ago
I was hoping that someone may be able to give me some advise on intensive language courses.

I am looking for work in HK and am planning to come out and do an intensive Cantonese course for 2-4 wks to stand me in good stead!

I have found two companies that seem 'ok'

* Languages Abroad

* Hong Kong Language Training Centre

Has anyone heard of these or actually used them? Or can you recommend any others?

Thanks

Sally

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
giggling_gal 18 yrs ago
Simple Simon's trying to be funny, and I have to admit to give him a little credit for that. :P

OK, intensive courses on quarterly basis, because you really need the time for both written and verbal. Please check the Chinese University in Shatin and the HK University in Pokfulam.

Those institutions are fairly priced and will give you much more credit on your resume.

Chuk nei ho wan! [good luck]

keliman 18 yrs ago
Hi Sally,

That's really true as a crash course can't really learn well Cantonese. As the language system and logic go completely different to western languages. Various tones can be very different things. Or some words can imply something really different. From my experience, mostly 60 hours course only for simple conversations. Try to understand the culture here, would be really helpful for learning Cantonese.

Focus on the tones and learn those swearing words, make sure you don't mix them up with what you try to say.

Good Luck :)

gidget 18 yrs ago
HI Sally,

Sorry that I can't actually advise you on the courses that you were enquiring after, but thought I would add to some of the other comments.

I agree with 2 years HK. I learnt cantonese for 8 months {not intensive} and still can't put a converstaion together really.

For Homosapien, Actually Cantonese is the most widely spoken dialect of Chinese in the world, in addition to the Chinese provences in the south {for example Guandong, where the dialect originated} that still speak it instead of Putonhua, the vast majority of Chinese living in foreign countires do too, as historically it was mostly the Cantonese who immigrated.

Certainly in HK there is not much Putonhua spoken, so Cantonese is the better dialect to learn for working here.

It is a great idea to get some Cantonese skills once you are here.

However in my experience it is your network and contacts that will help with getting a position, your language skills, even if proficient , will not help to 'prove' that you are more suited for the job than a local, which is the basis for granting a visa.

Hope it all goes well.

biilysue 18 yrs ago
Gidget is completely right, the diaspora of Cantonese speakers from China ranks as one of the biggest in history. It is estimated that over 70 MILLION Cantonese speakers have left China in the last 100 years. Cantonese speakers abroad well outnumber Mandarin speakers.

Personally, when I came to Hong Kong I took a 6 week immersion course (www.emeetw.com), and yes, it didn't make me fluent, but it did give me functional Cantonese so I could get around without english pretty well.

SylvieS 18 yrs ago
I am studying Mandarin at HK Language Learning Centre, but they also offer Cantonese courses (and seem to be quite reasonable) see www.hkllc.com

Ed 18 yrs ago
http://ad.hkedc.com/ad/ They have some great deals on one-one lessons

Jennytracey 10 yrs ago
Hi, my husband is learning cantonese from a cantonese tutor, he has very good progress, this is the source to share www.hkexpattutor.com

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad