Buying a farm

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by simontibble 18 yrs ago
I am looking to buy an old farm outside of Shanghai, does anybody have any tips or advice?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
douglaskoh 18 yrs ago
You cannot simply buy a farm.

There are two types of land in China: state land and collective land. The latter are owned by the different villages and only villager can use the land. The former can be leased. If your farm is in a collective land (likely to be the case), all you get is a promise not protected by the law to use it. The village can reclaim it anytime they want to. Unless the farm is in a state land, it can be bought and the land lease can be transferred to you.

Of course, collective land can be converted to state land. It is another way to allow you to own a farm but no village will want to surrender their land to the states without compensation.

Ed 18 yrs ago
http://shanghai.asiaxpat.com/property/residential.asp

simontibble 18 yrs ago
The sort of building I was looking for is the old single story "Cow Shed" type, I am not particular about taking the land it may come with.

douglaskoh 18 yrs ago
The building sits on a piece of land. If you do not have a right over the land, you can be asked to take away your bricks and cows anytime. So, that is the most important issue to look into.

simontibble 18 yrs ago
Thanks Kevin, trouble is finding an agent who handles such a building

Julia4634 18 yrs ago
Hi, I am a Chinese lawyer who specialize in helping foreigners to set up WOFE, rep office and Joint venture and do M&A. If you have any questions, Please feel free to contact me at lanyunzh@hotmail.com

Regards,

Julia

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad