Feeding bottles

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by honeypie 18 yrs ago
Hello,

What brand of feeding bottle should i buy, and also for sterilizer. There's a lot that i'm so confused which one to get.

How many bottles should i buy? i plan to BF but i have to buy now just in case i pump.

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Perthites 18 yrs ago
I love Avent their bottes are made to help reduce colic. As i use Avent bottles i have an Avent sterilizer and double pump. Which ever brand you decided to use it will be better in the long run to buy all your items, bottles, pump etc using the smae brand.

Kimmi 18 yrs ago
Yes definately AVENT bottles and sterilizer.

honeypie 18 yrs ago
thanks, i'll get the avent anti-colic and sterilizer.

I thought dr. brown's is the best one.

ellie55 18 yrs ago
We bought avent then bfree bottles made in UK from Sogo.Avent steriliser is definitely the best.

mum2004 18 yrs ago
I'm so frustrated when I read your messages, I can't manage NOT to have the Avent bottles leaking... What is the secret ????

I've tried so many different things but the bottles just keep on leaking :-(

I've tried the Nuk bottles but it seems it's running too quickly as my newborn is choking !

So I continue to use the Avent but I'm really not happy with them so far.

Perthites 18 yrs ago
I had that problem only a few times mum2004 but i just needed to tighten the tops. How long after you got the Avent bottle did it start to leak? A friend of mine told me that after you've used them for some time the thread doesn't work as well. Try calling your Avent distributor in HK (if there's one, otherwise there's one here in s'pore i can give you the number for) i've found Avent to be extremely helpful with any compliants i've had. They have replaced products a couple of products no questions asked for me.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i started off with avent teats but personally think it's v hard.

now i am using pigeon bottles. but the downside is that it's not as travel-friendly as avent. the cap doesn't feel quite as secure as avent's so if you feed formula and fill the bottle up with cool boiled water first, there is always the risk that the cap might come loose and leak.

a friend gave me the pigeon steam steriliser as a gift, works just as well with pigeon and avent bottles!

mum2004 18 yrs ago
Perthites, I've tried to tighten the ring but then my newborn is struggling to get his milk...

Yes, please give me the Avent contact, I would be interested in getting the secret ;-)

(My bottles & teats are brand new).

Thank you

Perthites 18 yrs ago
mum2004 have you tried having the top on tight but using a teat with more holes?

I will get back to you with the number as it's in my daughter's room and she's sleeping right now. I believe there is a fine line between loose and tight as my husband always managed to have the milk spill everywhere and i seemed to get it just right but as i even had a few spill i ended up just keeping it tight anyway i'll post back soon.

Perthites 18 yrs ago
Ok i was told by the S'pore office that this is the number for the HK distributor 2422 4476

Otherwise send an email to http://www.avent.com/uk/en/contact_avent_email_avent.php

or call Avent Australia (i found Michelle in CS there VERY helpful)they might or might not know re HK 612) 9457 0127

Hope this helps and hopefully the HK number given is the correct one!

xox 18 yrs ago
I've read the best bottles for baby are the Dr Brown's ones.

Does anyone know if they fit in the Advent steriliser?

momster 18 yrs ago
I used Avent for the first 2 months for my baby but when too loose, they were leaking and when too tight, my baby couldn't get the milk out. She also had colic and I couldn't see the Avent bottles and nipples helping. Then someone suggested Dr. Brown's. They were a great change! The colic eased up almost immediately. The nipple is softer and they fit into the Avent microwave sterilizer. She's still using them today (a year later). I first used the wide neck and am now using the regular sized ones. I've thrown out all my avent.

Good Luck!

xox 18 yrs ago
will the regular-sized dr brown's fit into the avent microwave steriliser?

momster 18 yrs ago
xox, yes, both sizes fit into the sterilizer. The regular sized ones are a bit longer and need some manoevuring but in the end, I could get about 4-5 of them in there together.

sheilachan 18 yrs ago
With my 2nd baby, I tried NUK (since my 1st baby used this brand) and then I tried Avent - both caused great trouble because my baby had colic and she kept spitting up. But then the paed suggested Dr. Brown's and it was a great suggestion - no more spitting up!!! I also use the Avent steriliser and it works good with the Dr. Brown's standard bottles.

mum2004 18 yrs ago
Perthites, thanks a lot for your help, I'll send them an email.

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
This Japanese thing is the best I've got. My sister sent it to me from Japan and compared to Avent I have been using, it creates less air and the baby is not puking anymore after bottle feeds, less burping, easy feeding. Patented in the USA and made in Japan. http://www.betta.co.jp/?gclid=CKeI37z6yIYCFQxkWAodFC6N4A

honeypie 18 yrs ago
thanks everyone, i've already bought Dr. Browns bottles, and a sterilizer.

000Monkey 18 yrs ago
DR BROWNS are the best and we had never a colic. These bottles are more expensive but worse every penny. We bought the cheapest steriliser at bumps to babes from LINDHAM called "rapid". You can get 6 wide neck Dr Browns done in less than 5 minutes.

xox 18 yrs ago
000Monkey - is the lindham steriliser the electric one or the one you place in the microwave?

Do the Dr Brown's standard size bottles fit in that steriliser?

Nicher 18 yrs ago
So many good comments on Dr. Brown's bottles. I think I'll go for it too! Is there a difference between the standard bottle and the wide-neck bottle? Do they all fit well in Avent ELECTRONIC sterilizer?

Also, if I plan to breastfeed, how many bottles should I get to start off with? People recommend 6 x 8oz and 2 x 4oz. Is this valid? Thx!

Blitzing 18 yrs ago
I tried Avent with my son but he kept getting terrible wind/colic. Changed to Dr Browns bottles and never looked back.

I have an Avent steriliser and the bottles fit inside no problem.

happychick 18 yrs ago
I use Dr Browns as well and they really are fantastic and I haven't had any problems with leaking bottles.

I have a friend who used Avent and her daughter was forever bringing her milk back up after her feeds which was really frustrating and worrying for her. She has now changed to Dr Browns and has never looked back since.

I only needed 2x4oz for the first couple of months and now still only have 2x8oz bottles as I don't really need anymore. I just sterilise after both bottles have been used.

I use the Emide Baby care steriliser and have no problems fitting the Dr Brown bottles in.

honeypie 18 yrs ago
Hi Nicher & xox,

If there is still time if you're reading this, go to the baby fair until today at convention, it is the best place to start buying baby stuff. We bought a lot from there.

6 bottles(2 sizes) of Dr Brown is only $180, mothercare is selling 3 bottles at $150 (it's their sale price now). We bought Tommee Tippee sterilizer at $300 only, usual price at shops is around $500. Avent sterilizer is also on sale for $500 with bottles, but since i don't need the avent bottles, i bought the Tommee one. Yes, Dr. Brown can fit any sterilizer.

I got few grobags too at $175 each!!! really cheap, you can't get that price at B2B or any shops.

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Hi Honeypie, which counter did you go? I've been to the babyfair yesterday but I couldn't find Dr. Brown's bottles! I only found Avent and Nuk? And where did you get those cheap grobags???

honeypie 18 yrs ago
There's a big booth exlusively for grobag products, the most crowded booth of all. Wonder why you didn't see it. I bought 3 grobags!!! aside from those foot/hand print that mothercare also has, it's discounted too. When you enter, on the right most end, that lane, after a few booth, there's the "baby outlet" booth that sells all Dr. Browns product. Maybe you didn't go to that end aisle. The left side end is the cafeteria, right?

I'm sure, like me, you weren't able to go around on all lanes as it's tiring, after two lanes, i just walk across and wait for hubby at each corner, he just tells me any good finds that he sees. I got that Tommee sterilizer from NUK booth. What did you buy?

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Shame to tell you that I actually didn't buy anything.... I got free ticket from a friend so I just intended to go look around. I couldn't walk much as I'm having sciatic pain + my hubby wasn't with me yesterday so no one to take purchase home for me. And I didn't see anything really at good bargain either. Did intentionally search for bottle brands but didn't see Dr. Brown at all! How could I have missed that??

My recall on the direction is - the left side is Eugene group, and the right most lane is a maid employment agent...Is that right? I didn't go down to the rightest lane.

honeypie 18 yrs ago
Hi Nicher,

Yes, exactly where the employment agency is, it's right next to it. It's alright, better luck next time, just go and get it at mothercare.

We weren't able to go to eugene group as i'm exhausted after 3 hours there. You have to have your hubby, i can't buy anything if he's not there, he was carrying 4 big bags and i can't help him at all.

I don't have that siatic pain, but i have braxton hicks(sp?) i have tightening on my left side and it's so scary that i have to sit down, it last for 30 seconds so no big deal. Doc said it's practice contraction ;-)

Hey, the shipping for the nursing apron is US$16, so forget it, we will wait til they have a retailer here.

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Hm... bad luck indeed. I should have checked out the right most lane first. Honestly I don't think you've missed a lot not going to Eugene Gp. The discount wasn't too deep, esp if you have the VIP card (or any of your friends has the card). You can always buy the stuffs at their retail store.

My hubby is on business trip so he couldn't join :( I actually SMS him yesterday saying everyone with hubby except me. Ha!!! I went with a friend and her hubby though.

Checked out two stores:

Baby Outlet- www.mamabebe.com.hk

Shop in HK- http://www.shopinhk.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=22

Both sell bottles at a price cheaper than Mothercare. Maybe I'll get mine there then.

I haven't started experiencing braxton hicks yet! How does it feel like?

Thanks for the info regarding the nursing apron. Too costly indeed... did they indicate if they are distributing in Asia soon?

honeypie 18 yrs ago
Nursing apron said they are working with a retailer in Hk, so maybe later they will have it here, we're not in a hurry ;-)

Just get one set of Dr. Browns, like 6 or 8 in a set. As we don't know how many bottles we'll be needing.

Oh, braxton hicks is scary, it's tightening feeling, maybe it's like contraction, when i touch my belly on the left side, it's bigger than the right side, so i concluded later that it might just be the baby turning his position and it's his head or butt that i touched ;-) I read that if you feel that and you're standing, just sit down. If you have that while sitting or lying down, just change your position.

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Hi all, back to this bottle topic: someone told me that cleaning the internal vent/ tube after every single feed can be a painful experience. Is that true?

honeypie 18 yrs ago
Hi Nicher,

No experience yet on this, but when i bought the bottles, it comes with 3 tiny brushes for the teat.

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Thanks Honeypie! That should solve the problem...

mum2004 18 yrs ago
I've seen that some people mentionned Eugene group. Do you know where their shop is ?

I used to go in the one in Causeway bay, in the shopping mall opposite to Ikea but it shut down. What a pity, you can find so many good things in this shop !

Is there another shop somewhere else ?

As for the bottles, I'm now using Bebe Confort & Nuk with rubber teats (much softer than silicone), my baby likes them both and no more problems of leaking :-)

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Eugene group club centre address:

http://www.eugenegroup.com.hk/center/eng_contact.php

Unfortunately, on HK side there's only one shop. I also realized that their CWB shop has shut down (or just under renovation?)

mum2004 18 yrs ago
Hello Nicher,

Thanks for your reply.

I've just called them and they told me the new shop (on HK side) will open by the end of the year. They don't know where as for now.

I don't have the courage to go to Mongkok, so I'll be patient ;-)

Nicher 18 yrs ago
Hi Mom2004 - I've been to the one in Shatin. It's pretty spacious too. But of course, visit if you happens to go to NT :)

I'm planning to shop in preparation for my baby these coming few weeks. Any goodies you recommend that I can specifically get from there?

honeypie 18 yrs ago
I went to eugene when it was having a closing down sale at windsor house, didn't find anything special then.

Saycheese 18 yrs ago
Hi Mum2004,

I have the same problem with Avent bottles . Have u discovered the secret to the leak ? It's getting frustrating for both me and the baby especially if it leaks in the middle of the night and baby hates a new change of clothes !

mum2004 18 yrs ago
Hi Saycheese, I have changed the bottles to the Chicco ones (sold at most Wellcome) and they're great (and cheap !). They don't leak and my baby seems very happy with them (no air as well). You should give them a try.

firsttimemom 18 yrs ago
Has anyone tried the Nuk bottles and nipples? the nipples have a special design so airflow is maintained, and are shaped to most closely resemble a real nipple. Bubbs only drinks from those - and the rubber one, not silicon. Its brilliant. We also got the NUK steriliser.

Saycheese 18 yrs ago
Hi Mum2004, I have switched to Dr Brown yesterday and baby seems to like it . He sucks more at ease and takes a shorter time to finish his milk ! Will give chicco a try the next time round !

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad