Wanting to take legal action vs. HK Police

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by turtle1 18 yrs ago
I'm quite surprised all this happened. The same thing has happened to me ie I didn't pay a speeding ticket and it didn't catch up with me until I was pulled over for running a red light and they checked my license a few years later. It's unusual that policemen showed up at your door as they don't actively pursue these arrest warrants. I was taken to the police station, I bailed myself out, received a court date and was out of there within an hour. When I got to court, I wasn't even fined, I just had to pay the initial fine of HK$320 and was refunded the balance of the bail money I had put up at the police station.

Why don't you lodge a complaint with the body with deals with complaints against the police force.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
TC 18 yrs ago
There is a process for making complaints against the police. If you think back to what the police force was like 20 years ago you will understand why such a process was necessary. But there's a much better chance your complaint will be given a fair hearing now than there was back then.

https://secure1.info.gov.hk/police/epol-forms/ComplaintAgainstPolice.htm

(And that's the first time I've heard of a turtle booked for running a red light!)

Claire 18 yrs ago
The HKPF is not consistent. I know of one woman who was thrown in a Wanchai Police Station cell for a traffic violation - one wheel went over the white line. She didn't have the cash to pay the on-the-spot fine. She had to wait for her husband to bail her out, but was not allowed to breastfeed her hungry baby who her maid bought to the police station till the fine was paid.

I've heard from a friend about an expat who was stopped while driving. He had no licence, no insurance and he wasn't the owner of the car, nor could he prove he had permission to drive it. He was let off with a warning.

Seems if the officers take exception to you, you're screwed...

turtle1 18 yrs ago
TC - I was so out of it that day that I didn't realize a policeman was right behind me - I ran the light really slowly though!

talllatte 18 yrs ago
I think the clue is that you were speeding >30kmh over the limit which is deemed to be a very serious offence in HK.

Thames 18 yrs ago
If DiscoBay isn't a wind-up then he or she is the kind of judgemental and ignorant poster who puts off people seeking practical advice from using AsiaXpat. Surely allowing hostile, unhelpful responses must encourage people to switch to other resources for their answers.

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
Some things it's just not worth losing steam over, this is done and gone, leave it behind. Better luck next time, Bigger fish to fry.

danielb 18 yrs ago
Although I can understand your frustration there is little that you can do about it. The officers have not acted outside the law in their dealings with you.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad