Transfer to the US. What do I need to know?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Snoopy 18 yrs ago
Food, subway, taxis, utilities, entertainment(musuems, movies, concerts) are quite a bit more than in HK. There aren't any public hospitals like in HK where you pay $100/day. Minor surgey even after insurance picks up their bit can still be several thousand US out of your own pocket. Rent costs are about the same. If you have kids you might want to live in a suburb for a better school system. I would guess you would need no less than $100K US/year for a family of four to live plus still save a bit.

You can find really great sales on clothes, shoes, furniture, household stuff, computers. It's a great place with lots to do and lots of diversity which is nice. You'll also get the beautiful fall leaves and snow!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
$25 an hour for a cleaner? Please tell me that's a typo!

fizz 18 yrs ago
Do you need to live in NYC??? There are easy commuter trains from Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania whereby you can live a lot cheaper in a large house with big yard.

NYC is a great place, and I used to live very close to Manhattan (in New Jersey). You can visit the big apple anytime, but live in the 'burbs where it's less cost and if you have kids, the schools are much better. I would not want to put my kids in a NYC public school.

The mayor has made NYC a very safe place, so not to worry about that. But, it is a big city.

Another thing is you have NY state tax and NYC tax on items you purchase. But, the schools (unless private) are free to residents.

Best of luck.

RiceT 18 yrs ago
Foolonahill - Are you considering the suburbs? There are many good ones in a commutable distance to NYC, and your costs will be significantly reduced.

You can definitely get a housekeeper for less than $2400 a month. Are you looking for a nanny or a housekeeper? Or someone to do both types of work? Are you looking for a live-in person? Wages will vary based on what you choose.

Get in a place with good taxes. Also, I've seen houses in Westchester rented for less than your 3500 a month estimate above, so it's do-able.

BTW, Greenwich CT happens to be a bit pricey in many areas.

Good advice about the phones; phone bills are a blessing here compared to what they are in the States. Still, you can find good deals from some of the alternative companies, particulary those using VoIp.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad