Kale?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ellie55 18 yrs ago
is kale refers as kai-lan in cantonese?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
Kale is also known as Chinese Broccoli and yes, Kai-Lan :)

Super Baby Foods raves about the benefits of Kale and she says she feeds it to her baby every other day.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
The kale that I fed my baby (available in Korea) is not the kai-lan (which I LOVE) but this other thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kale

but I'm sure the Chinese version is just as good if not better. At least it is TASTIER!! GIVE ME SOME NOW! Can't find it in Seoul!

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
I'm pretty sure the Super Baby Foods lady, Ruth, is American, or at least North American. All I can say is that the kale I've eaten in the States is NOTHING like as yummy as the (organic) baby kale we get here in HK. It's larger in size, so not "baby", and VERY strong tasting. I could eat baby kale all day, every day, here in HK but can barely touch the stuff in the States.

P.S. My helper introduced us to this one--drop the kale quickly into a pot of boiling water, remove while still firm and serve immediately with soft sweet carmelized onions overtop. Sounds weird, but truly yummy. (Not on my daughters a-list, but then, most veggies are still a challenge.)

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
my thoughts, i think in sg, instead of soft caramelised onions, they top it with fried shallots and oyster sauce. another common cooking style is stir fry with lots of garlic - did not like that during my pregnancy!!

would love to try my bub on kale soon...i wonder how he will take to it!!

there are also two types of kai lan - baby kai lan and the usual kai lan...to be honest i prefer baby kai lan, tastes sweeter to me!

ellie55 18 yrs ago
cri-chinese brocolli is kai-lan?really?:)

those with the dark green leaves is what i called kailan,just wasnt sure if is also called chinese brocolli..

ellie55 18 yrs ago
from the online dict hkchoichoi refers to,is also called chinese brocoli...so yes cri is right,,,but it isnt the kailan i saw in market.so kailan=chinese brocolli=kale??

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Love the recipe ideas, though Wheelymate, I was with you on the garlic while pregnant...blech!

Ruth, is the topping in yours cooked?

crj 18 yrs ago
ParknShop at Parkview had organic baby chinese kale this weekend.

as well as lots of other organic greens at a very reasonable price.

ellie55 18 yrs ago
bought mine in uny.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad