Dual Nationality

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Vivianto 18 yrs ago
I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on this issue - My husband is German and I am a British Citizen /HK born Chinese. In theory we could therefore apply for a German, a British and a HKSAR passport for my daughter at the same time. I know all three jurisdiction allow dual nationality. My question is whether "dual nationality" mean strictly two nationalities or it is loosely defined to include multi- nationalities.

It would be great to hear from someone who is in similar situation.

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
mayafox 18 yrs ago
As far as I know, HKSAR and UK allow multiple passports (I know many people who have both). Not sure about Germany though.

tsuiwah 18 yrs ago
save yourself some money on passport fees and just get the one you need now... children passports are only good for a few years so are unlikely to be used much if at all before they expire

turtle1 18 yrs ago
Hong Kong's nationality law does not allow dual nationality. Having said that, the law is there but it's not enforced.

mayafox 18 yrs ago
Hmmm... I have both SAR and Canadian passports (as well as British and Australian residency and a Chinese Going Home Card) so it can definitely be done. Perhaps the info on the immigration site refers to the difference between Chinese (which does not allow dual nationality) and HKSAR (which does)? I do know that this is a potentially endless discussion -- have had endless chats about this with friends and it seems there are often exceptions to the rule.

turtle1 18 yrs ago
My understanding is that a HKSAR passport holder is deemed to be Chinese. Many people in HK have numerous passports (myself included) which is in conflict with the nationality law, as I said before, the law is there but it's just not enforced.

Vivianto 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone for sharing your views and experience. Judging by your comments it seems to me that as far as passport and residency is concerned, one can be holder of passports from many countries at the same time. As a consequence, you may also be residence of more than multi-jurisdiction. However, in countries that do not recognise dual nationality, such as China, you might not be able to claim a certain status at your own election. Your nationality will be determined according to the nationality law of that country. (See Cara's contribution on Article 3 of the PRC Nationality Law)

It is true that my daughter would only need one passport to travel around. I am ultimately not concerned about the passport but her future education. (i.e whehter she would be treated as local or overseas students in Germany / Britain)

The logical conclusion from this discussion is that the holding of a passport is not going to guarantee a home student status.

Thanks again for everyone who contributed.

BusyHKMum 18 yrs ago
You can have all 3. I have a British Citizen Passport and also a HKSAR passport. You do NOTh have to give up another passport to obtain a HKSAR passport.. if you are born in HK and have Chinese blood/ethnicity, you can apply and get a HK passport. If you are Chinese, part or full, but born outside of HK you have to give more supporting information and documents. The application forms tell you clearly what you need. Also, the application forms for a HKSAR passport comes in English and Chinese. My children hold British Citizen passports, HKSAR and Irish (through my husband).

Regarding home status for UK universities - yes currently you need to reside there for 3 years and boarding school does not count. However, each univeristy will assess each application separately and will consider if you have any connections to the UK such as property, have you lived there at any time, why did you leave (such as an overseas job posting) and so on. However, holding a British passport does not entitle you to home status for university.

katyw 18 yrs ago
Cara and BusyHKMum - Does the 3 year residency apply to Primary and Secondary education too?

Vulvic 18 yrs ago
Hi all,

agree with the posts above about uni. I was born in HK but hold full British passport by descent. Both my brother and I went to boarding school but my dad bought property in the UK and paid council taxes, land rates etc to establish residency in the UK. This enabled us to obtain a grant from our county council for uni.

As for my little one, I am british and hubby is dutch. I can obtain a passport for my wee one as I ca prove residency in the UK for more than 3 years - without this she would not qualify. She is also entitled to a dutch passport, however, when she turns 18 she must decide to keep her dutch passport and surrender her brit passport or surrender her dutch passport altogether. They do not allow dual nationality.

MayC 18 yrs ago
My little girl was born in HK and my husband is a local HK Chinese so she gets the HKSAR one, the China one and the British. She is also eligible to the Aussie passport because she's an Australian by descent. I think you can have all. Hubby has had all for many years - Australian/british/HKSAR/China.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad