Long Service for Helper

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Vikki 18 yrs ago
Can anyone help...We have had the same helper for 14 years, and we are now leaving Hong Kong. Does anyone out there know what we have to pay her for long sevice. I know its 2/3 of the annual salary x no. of yrs service, and as we pay her well over the amount require and by the govt, my question is do we pay per the amount stated on her contract, which does not include the food allowance, or do we pay her the amount she gets in the hand. She has also just had three months paid maternity leave, I think the amount required is 10 weeks, do we still have to pay per annual leave as well as sick days, she's never been sick a day in 14 yrs...She also goes home for a month every year or so. We don't want to short-change her but want it to be fair to both.

I've looked at every site available but can find nothing that sets out how to do the sums. Any hep greatly appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
TC 18 yrs ago
I understand the amount payable is based on the actual wages paid and not the amount specified in the contract. Check the following link:

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/ConciseGuide/10.pdf

ness 18 yrs ago
http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf is also another link with some info. see page 20

Wupper 18 yrs ago
You should try to find the proper definition of 'wages' or 'salaries'. I do not have one at hand at the moment, but youshould be able to find one on the website recommended by the other posts. To my understanding long service payments refer to wages and wages do not include certain bonus payments or additional payments (housing, food etc).

Labour department should be able to help - have you given them a call?

beachball 18 yrs ago
And note that it is 2/3 of the MONTHLY wage times number of years service (not ANNUAL wage).

Vikki 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone, and yes Wupper I've rang the labour dept, they weren't much help whn I finally got to speak to someone.... We've worked it out and she has a smile on her face so all is well.

pennypots 18 yrs ago
So glad you have it all sorted Vikki. Please can you let us know if the amount payable was based on wages in hand or on the amount on her contract?

Vikki 18 yrs ago
Hi Pennypots, the amount payable is on the amount they get in hand, this is what we paid anyway, its really hard to get the correct information from anyone. All the info on the websites relate to general occupations, there is nothing specific regarding domestic helpers. We have probably paid well over but she is worth it.

cd 18 yrs ago
I'm pretty sure its 2/3 the monthly salary x the number of years, once they have worked for you over 4 years, of the amount stated on the contract. If you've paid bonuses, they don't count as regards to long service pay.

Vikki 18 yrs ago
Oh well she has done well, everyone I spoke to said it was the amount received, not just what was written on the contract. Anyway she worked for us for 14 yrs she deserves a little extra. Anyone know of a good ayi in Shanghai....

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad