separating solids

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
when do you stop pureeing various vegetables together and serving them on their own? currently i prepare mixed vegetables for my baby (e.g. a dish of sweet potatoes/carrots/french beans) so that the stronger vegetables are more palatable but when should i serve each vegetable on their own?

he is 6 months plus.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Phoenix 18 yrs ago
I have just stopped pureeing. I found he was getting very bored, and was reaching for bits of bread etc. from us and able to gum them.

What I am now doing is cooking the veg separately and mashing it separately, and then feeding in separate spoonfuls to see which he will eat ( all from the one bowl though!). Over the past few weeks, I have noticed that he will eat certain things mashed that he didnt like pureed etc. So, instead of doing one big mix up, i now have them in little piles - if he likes them all i will mix together. If not, I will take the nasty one out. Seems to work OK.Have also revisited some mashed fruits and veg he wouldnt eat before, only to find he loves them.

Phoenix 18 yrs ago
Sorry- duh- he is 9 months. I did it from around 7.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
thanks for sharing phoenix.

i'm asking because i wonder if it's a better idea to feed vegetables separately so that he can get the real taste of the ingredient instead of a version sweetened with other foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.

i bought a tommee tippee (i can't spell!!!) bowl over the weekend which has 2 compartments, so thinking if i should try separating the stronger vegetable from the others and feed...if he finds the taste too strong, then i'll mix them up again.

katyw 18 yrs ago
I always did the opposite. I fed them single vegetables first and then started to combine them when they'd tried enough variety.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi katyw, i mixed in the beginning because books i have advise that stronger vegetables should be mixed with sweeter stuff like sweet potatoes/carrots to make it more palatable for baby. so i did introduce single vegetables initially but once i had introduced enough to have mixes, i started doing that. i didn't think he would eat broccoli on their own!

and now i am suddenly concerned if he'll ever know the real taste of food! crazy, i know..... :P

but he is only 6 months and personally i think he's doing great on the solids front so little steps...lunch today is mashed up still but for his dinner, i'm going to separate his fav sweet potato and french bean mix...let's see how that goes!

Matilda 18 yrs ago
Generally new foods are introduced separately when commencing solids to be able to determine which food may be responsible in case of food allergy or sensitivity. You may serve separate foods any time, however, if baby eats his vegetable casserole better than individual servings then continue.

Well Baby Clinic 2849 1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

crj 18 yrs ago
WM - it sounds like your baby is doing great and you have nothing to worry about :)

The first 2 months, I did what Matilda and KatyW say, I started a new food alone for 3-4 days to be sure there was no reaction. But now I am mizing quicker - as he really likes his orange veggies (so much he is now orange in colour, really!), so I put some green veggies in to get him to eat them even though he doesn't seem to like the taste of them alone.

ellie55 18 yrs ago
have you girlss started fish?mine seems to get abit of allergy ard his mouth.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi ellie,

no fish yet...will do chicken and tofu for protein at 7 months...fish maybe 8 months on...

if he has an allergy, perhaps a good idea to stop and monitor and try again when he is a little older?

crj: thanks for the encouragement. mine is a big sweet potato fan...current favourite recipe is that mixed with either broccoli or french beans....but i am wary of him turning orange so i alternate between sweet spuds and the white ones...

crj 18 yrs ago
we have just accepted that we will have an orange baby for a while :) It is a bit odd though as it is really orange and noticable ha ha

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hahahah.....oh we tried pumpkin too...i find that the stuff he finds yummy are all orange!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad