apples n pear-how do you give?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ellie55 18 yrs ago
i followed the recipes,tried cutting them into smaller pieces but they are still very hard after the recommended times of 11 to 12 mins.

do you give them to your babies?how much time do you boil to make it soft?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i steam it in my tefal electric steamer for about 15 mins although i find the apples soften better than the pears.

crj 18 yrs ago
Steam or Microwave - maybe do it for longer if not soft enough. I think boiling means that more nutrients are lost.

Are you mashing them into puree or giving as finger food?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
the asian pear - shinko - I just puree it without cooking. It becomes a rather nice puree - no cooking needed. With the apples I cook them a bit but not too much and then puree. Get a good handblender and then it's not too much of a chore either way.

asking 18 yrs ago
Wow I was just about to create a thread to ask the very same question!!

Doesnt seem to matter what I do everything turns out lumpy - even after using the puree machine!

How do you prepare avocados? I have tried following the instructions in Amanda Karmels book but simple mashing with a folk and adding some milk does not wash it for me! I pureed for literally 5 mins and then still had to put them through a sieve!

Any advice? Really finding it difficult to get a smooth texture.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi asking,

i initially pureed everything to death. but there have been times when i have missed out some lumps and you know what, because they were very soft lumps, my son ate them anyway. so now i actually think some (soft) lumps are good for him, make it easier when he goes to just mashed up foods later!

avocados: they must be very ripe in order to mashed up nicely. and when they are very ripe, just a little spoon and a bowl with some milk will do. i have never pureed avocados before.

BUT i do have this little bowl that has little pointy bits...so i use that when i mash bananas and avocados, makes it easier. it is a part of a weaning set from pigeon (comes with sieve, grater, etc)...it was a gift from a friend.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I just mashed the avocado with a fork and mixed with breastmilk and some baby rice. How old is baby? Mine can handle some lumps now - avocado lumps are easier than apple/pear lumps.

i'm wondering why the apple/pears aren't becoming smooth? i've never had a problem - and i've never sieved them.

alternatively, Jusco, and UNY probably have this "grater" for baby foods which is excellent for apples and pears. It's a plastic box with holes on top, and around the holes are this raised bumps which really FINELY shreds your apples and pears. It's also great for other raw veggies. It's also easy to make a single serving - half an apple, 1 minutes and fresh puree apple.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
i have never sieved apples or pears either (although some books instruct that to remove the piths), i steam and blitz in the blender.

crj 18 yrs ago
Avocado - I used to mash with a fork.

Now I use the braun hand blender (adult variety) and mix in avocado, yogurt, tofu...

He used to like his oatmeal a bit thick, but now any chunk and he dislikes it. Hope this 'texture aversion' does not last long!

asking 18 yrs ago
I think need to invest in a better blender!! The one I have is 'supposed' to be especially fo babys - by Lindam. I think it will come into its own once my LO accepts lumps.

Shes 6 months and gags if there are any lumps!

Re the avocado - it felt ripe (squishy on outside) but noticed that it was a bit fiborous and woody when mashing. Had to put it through sieve to get lumps out.

Thanks Wheelymate/hkchoichoi

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
braun blender is an absolute essential for me.

i wished i bought the bigger and more powered one! mine is only 300 watts.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad