Gotten Pregnant even with an IUD?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by MdmButterfly 18 yrs ago
I am interested to find out if anyone has gotten pregnant before even with an IUD inserted? I know there's a 95% chance of it NOT happening but there are cases that it has too.

I've had mine for 2.5 years now (I am supposed to change mine on the 3rd year) and suddenly this month my period did not come on its regular date BUT I did get some light staining about a week later.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
can happen - not foolproof. Have you taken a test?

Katetam 18 yrs ago
yes, my friend got pregnant last year EVEN with the IUD inside. (sorry, wish I can say I didn't know anyone who did!).

Better take the pregnancy test, just in case.

midwife 18 yrs ago
Happened to me as well!

When I finally worked out I was pregnant (was the but of many jokes considering I am a midwife!!), we went for the ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy, there sitting next to my beautiful baby to be was the IUCD!

I was aware that it can happen (had seen it a few times in the past). Mine had been in for about two years when I conceived.

MdmButterfly 18 yrs ago
oh ok....perhaps I am in denial that I MAY be pregnant hence the reason why I've not taken a test yet. So what happens if I am? I heard there are risks to the foetus when removing the IUCD.

midwife 18 yrs ago
Yes there can be risks associated. It can effect implantation and cause some problems during the pregnancy. My obstetrician removed mine at the time of the first scan and then we played a wait and see game. Basically from my understanding they do try to remove it if they can so that the pregnancy can proceed without interuption or interferance from the device.In saying that some IUCD's are inaccesable and so remain insitu for the duration of the pregnancy and come out with the baby!

I had some cramps and a little bleeding after removal, but the ob checked the heartbeat and I rested for a few hours and all was well.

My daughter is now 21/2 years old and we often laugh about how she "slipped through the system"!

Good luck - we were completely dumb founded when it happened to us, it takes a while to sink in.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad