Using a CUP, not sippy cup

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by crj 18 yrs ago
Hi

Baby is almost 9 months.

He is breast fed and never really took to the bottle or the sippy cup.

It was suggested we try a cup and try him on smoothies - yogurt, fruit, breast milk - since he already likes these items it might be a good way to introduce him to a cup.

The reason is, I plan to stop breast feeding at one year. At which time he will supposed to be drinking whole fat milk from a cup. But we can't expect him to go from boob on day to cup the next, so we need to get him used to and good at drinking from a cup!

The goal is to get him to 'practice' for about a month with a cup at each meal, and after a month having him drink a cup of something with every meal (and maybe a few snack drinks too). Then the transition from boob to cup should be easier when it has to happen full time.

Does anyone have any experiences or advise they can share about getting a young baby to use a CUP (not sippy cup)?

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
Thanks!

What age can a baby use a straw without having it poke their throat b/c they put too much in their mouth? Or are they smarter than I think?

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Why not a sippy cup cri?

We went to a cup first too, but, from a practical standpoint, for eating at friends houses, in restaurants, or even at our own dining room table (over a rug), a sippy cup is very practical. Accidental knockovers are no mess or trouble at all. Plus, she drank MUCH more with sippy cup than an ordinary cup so it was easier to keep up the milk intake.

Since then, I've been also thinking that a sippy cup may give a bit of the "suck" sensation babies like/need so much. She never took a dummy or her thumb, but she had toys in her mouth for the longest time--would that have been worse with only an open cup?

The straw thing is very individual I've noticed, some babies learn very early, some not until much later. You're right there though, able to help with straw handling until they're safe with it on their own.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
we have been on sippy cup for about 2 weeks...i hold it for him as he can't do it too well.

we use it for water during meals and i find he enjoys drinking out of it compared to the teat.

@@ 18 yrs ago
Agree that the "straw" type cups are great. Mostly because I like to have water available to the children all the time, I can leave their cups and bottles around without fear of it being tipped everywhere.

Also, we went through so many types of sippy cups with my first child - some are really tough to suck on.

crj 18 yrs ago
Thanks JohnMomm

The reason not a sippy cup, is he doesn't like his sippy cup or bottle, so a cup was suggested... gotta get him ready for being a big boy soon!

Yogini 18 yrs ago
My boy never took a bottle either but was using a sippy cup when he was 6 months or so.

Later I introduced the Playtex bottles with a straw and heloves them. He is 15 months now but I still wouldn't give him a normal cup as it tends to get messy. I give it to him now and then but only when I am close by.

crj 18 yrs ago
Thanks for all the advice!

We bought some cheap plastic cups at IKEA, and a cup with s soft straw at Eugene Club for HKD40. (Munchkin Health Cup or something like that) It does say the staw is not for chewing and if it gets damaged we need to buy a replacement. It is spill proof, so this will be good for going out.

Funny the straw cups all say for ages 2 and up!

He seems to like the cup - opens his mouth for it. Of course it is messy, but it is all about practice. So far just water, but we will start small smoothies this week.

If the goal (according to APA and other baby books) is for a baby to drink our of a cup on their first birthday, I figure we need a few months of practice!

asking 18 yrs ago
Crj - what sort of smoothies are you going to give your LO?

I havent intro yoghurt yet - and not sure if I can since there is a history of allergies on both sides. Would be interested to hear what you are planning.

crj 18 yrs ago
asking

I am just going to try to make smoothies from what he already eats:

yogurt, papaya, mango, maybe some breast milk.

I don't think he will like kiwi in it.

I would suggest just try with the fruits you already introduced, with or without yogurt. Just a small amount.

We have been letting him 'practice' with a small cup with water every meal - it is pretty funny. I hold it up, he opens his mouth all eager for a sip. His hand goes up to help hold the cup, the water goes in his mouth, and he spits most of it out, coughs, and then wants more. Just about 2-3 sips and he is done, with most getting spit out. But he does get the concept, so that is a great start.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
just a thought: i have tried my bub's sippy cup and i find you need to suck v hard to get anything out. i reckon it's due to the non-spill feature.

perhaps you can try (if available, i don't know actually) sippy cups that don't have the non-spill feature? then you can still contain the mess baby makes (compared to a cup) and since the flow will be pretty fast, baby won't need to suck very much!

crj 18 yrs ago
We have two sippy cups.

The first was by NUK, and honestly I think it was faulty as it was impossible to suck.

The second is avent, easier to suck, and when we take the rubber membrane thing out it just flows. So have have done that.

But we really want to move towards a cup so he can fully 'graduate' to a cup at one year. I think it is going to take a lot of practice! So the goal now is just to practice, not to actually drink :)

Trying a very small smoothie this afternoon with a straw!

ellie55 18 yrs ago
i have been using the avent bottle cap as a cup,or sometimes those plastic cups meant for my toddlers to feed him since 5 months old.And you know what?he has practically pushes out the teats everytime milk is given in a bottle.i guess is all rite to start using a cup now cri.

crj 18 yrs ago
Wow Ellie that is great, good to know it does eventually work :)

ellie55 18 yrs ago
try to let him sip ,you know how does a cat does it?just at the tip of his tougue but do not pur or push it in.

hard work for me with the milk though so now i just mix it into the cereal.

crj 18 yrs ago
He did it today! He managed to drink some water from the cup without spitting it out!!! yeah!!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad