Solids - Texture Aversion? 9 Months

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by crj 18 yrs ago
Is this normal or an issue?

(I don't want to make it into an issue if it is not)

Baby is almost 9 months.

He has been on solids since 5 months.

He has 4 meals a day, and loves his solids.

While he does like his oatmeal a bit thick, everything else must be very pureed.

If we give him anything a bit thick or with chunks he makes a face and sticks out his tongue as if gagging.

If we give him anything chunky he throws up:

small spoon of cottage cheese

small baby rice cake

small piece of pear

small piece egg yolk

etc...

He doesn't seem upset after, just before, as he makes faces trying to get this 'thing' off his tongue and out of his mouth/throat.

He also does not eat finger food which is maybe related to the above reaction.

Questions:

Is this normal?

What age should I expect him to eat more texture?

Anything I can do to assist?

Any foods that worked for you as first textures/chunks?

Or should I just wait this out and keep trying every week?

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
He may not be quite ready for diced foods, such as the pear, or for the rice cake.

Instead of absolutely pureeing everything else, have you tried mashing/mincing, and finely chopping or grating his finger foods? This adds a bit of texture which the pureed foods don't have but keeping to the tastes you know he likes. This should encourage him to chew and bite.

BTW, if every child progressed exactly according to the baby books, a lot of baby experts would be out of work.

And, btw, I STILL can't eat cottage cheese because of the texture and I'm $39.95 plus first class airmail postage & packaging.

crj 18 yrs ago
Thanks Claire, this is really helpful.

I have tried mashing/mincing, he didn't like the texture... that was the issue.

But we can try again, and the grating idea we haven't tried yet.

yeah, cottage cheese is a bit gross, but we tried :)

crj 18 yrs ago
Thanks Joshmomm

We have some sugar free baby cereal similar to cheerios and yes we gave him the whole rice cake - he got the idea, put it in his mouth, ate some, and then threw up!

We'll try grated food, and keep trying something with texture every few days.

Glad to know it is normal, I won't worry now :)

Claire 18 yrs ago
Believe Little Giant might have one or two.

Matilda 18 yrs ago
This is a common baby feeding issue.

Some babies will refuse lumpy foods altogether... some will take them from the spoon but then gag constantly (sometimes even vomiting)... and others will develop a remarkable ability to "filter" a mouthful of food by eating only the smooth part and spitting out every single lump!

Lumpy foods cause gagging in the same way that smooth foods do when introduced to your baby for the first time. In other words, your baby hasn't yet learned to deal with lumps and gags in order to stop any food at the back of his tongue from entering his airways. Ideally, he then learns to chew his food into smaller particles, which then prevents the gagging.

For some babies, though, this must seem like too much hard work and they end up refusing the lumpy food altogether. In this situation, it is VERY important to be calm, relaxed and patient.

In most cases, your baby's aversion to lumpy foods will pass as his feeding abilities develop.

Many parents find that their babies cope better if they are allowed to feed themselves - understandably, being "in control" seems to reduce the problem. You can help your baby by following our guide to slowly introducing lumpy foods (above) - also, try giving him the slightly lumpier textured foods in between spoons full of puree.

It's important to remember that many baby feeding problems - whilst worrying at the time - do tend to sort themselves out... and patience is often all that's required!

Try feeding your baby on your lap. He may be reassured by the closeness and more likely to experiment with his food. He may even accept a little lumpy (appropriate) food from your plate.

Ensure that mealtimes are fun. Try singing to your baby... and smile often.

Praise him lavishly for any progress he makes.

Always eat with your baby - babies love to mimic others and watching you may be just the incentive he needs.

Offer your baby plenty of finger foods if he is developmentally ready. Many babies won't take lumpy foods from a spoon, but will chew quite happily when feeding themselves!

Encourage your baby to explore toys with his mouth. This helps with the development of the tongue movement which is needed to gather and chew particles of food.

Well Baby Clinic 2849 1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad