How to grow an avocado tree?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Thames 18 yrs ago
I'm usually the last person on God's earth to advise on growing/keeping plants (I'm great at buying them, though!) as most have a habit of dying on me, but I succesfully grew a couple of avocado trees in Sai Kung by just sticking the seeds in potting soil in plastic pots and forgetting about them for a while. I don't think I even washed the seeds before planting them, but I watered them now and again and transferred them once or twice to bigger pots as they grew. Basically they thrived on neglect. I left them at my previous place when I moved last year; they were about eight foot high then I guess. Mind you, I've no idea whatsoever if they could actually bear fruit as I suspect there needs to be some sort of male/female pollination thing going on. I had visions of trying to get two trees to mate, but left them before I could start the sinister experiment.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
crj 18 yrs ago
Great idea! Should have thought of this before :) I think we'll try too!

http://www.avocado.org/about/growing_avocado.php

You are actually not supposed to submerg the whole seed in the water, more like suspend it above the water, with just a small bit touching.

This one has more detailed instructions with photos...

http://www.wikihow.com/Plant-an-Avocado-Tree

etnad 18 yrs ago
Hi simple simon, here's a tip for you. Growing avocado tree from seed is simple and easy. You need to prepare the potting medium: any moist loose soil in a rather high or long plastic pot ( since the primary root is long). Prepare it not less than two days prior to planting the seed. This is to give the soil some sort of resting, i.e. suiting the right temperature in relation to the environment and the plastic pot. The avocado seed need not be washed nor soaked in water. Washing and soaking in water brings excess moisture in the endosperm which may promote fungal growth, which then result to decaying and eventually result to the blackening of its cotyledons. After eating the flesh, just wipe the seed with any kitchen paper towel, peel off the outer covering to reveal the vent or the break, as it would be easier for the primary stem and primary root to come out. Just push it halfway into the soil, the blunt end down,the pointed end up. Leave it undisturbed in a shady part of your garden or patio beside your potted plants,whichever you have. Start watering when three to four inches of the primary stem is out. Transfer to a semishade area when the first two leaves opened. Easy and simple. In a natural setting, avocado trees may bear fruit in about seven years, depending on health, maintenance, as well as the variety of the tree. Avocado trees have female and male flower system so a single tree can bear fruit even it it's alone.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad