Items you couldn't live without

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by my thoughts 18 yrs ago
You may want to include your favorite over the counter medications, if any (adult as well as child). Don't know how old your children are, but a couple of litres of Pedialyte (or similar)may be smart, for some reason, oral electrolyte solution is not longer available here.

When I go home, I also buy some children's clothes ahead, because while Stanley Market can't be beat in some respects, it's hardly "outfits" and you'll never find plain, unadorned shirts or the jacket you just love. I think children's clothing at retail is expensive here. You may want to do the same for yourself, I do virtually all of my basics clothes and shoe shopping overseas.

Children's books are expensive here, too, for some reason.

Maybe bottle some clean ozzy air? :-)

Funny thing--now that it looks like we're relocating to Europe, I'm wondering what things WE should buy ahead!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
oj 18 yrs ago
I generally stock up on Calpol and Olbas Oil but apart from that, when you look hard enough you can normally find what you need.

Babette 18 yrs ago
I agree with the other posters...In the beginning when you first arrive, it is nice to have some comforting things from home. Eventually, you will find them or a near replacement somewhere in Hong Kong but it can take awhile to get your bearings!

Some things we appreciated initially:

-kids' toothpaste, flossers(for teeth), and other toiletries and hair accessories for girls

-children's clothing and shoes (not necessary to bring athletic shoes though)

-Their nice (and better priced bedding and towels from the US.

-some extra toys/books that can be harder to find in HK (and more expensive)

-children's over the counter meds and ointments as well as vitamins

-some "comfort foods" that can be found but not everywhere: organic macaroni and cheese in a box, certain breakfast cereals and treats

-pretty decorations for bedrooms (can be hard to find)

-good quality plastic containers or baskets for clothing and toys-if you want sizes/shapes other than Ikea

-sporting goods and camping gear-can be found here, just maybe more expensive

I would definitely bring lots of lovely bedding and towels for the whole house and your favorite things-you'll be glad you did!

white rabbit 18 yrs ago
cherry dummies....or the dummies you use...dummies here are rubbish.

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
We live on the mainland so a bit less is available here than HK. Even the best / biggest HK bookstores will have a much more limited selection of English language books (especially special interest other than topic of China / HK) and you pay through the nose. We import our Christmas candy (special things for special holidays) and also over the counter meds especially for baby such as baby ibuprofen and some common tummy meds. Also, antibiotic ointment is only available in HK by prescription so you may want to bring a couple of tubes for kids cuts. It's helpful to bring a pre-fab first aid kit just to get yourself started, including thermometer (of course they are available here). I prefer my USA sunscreen, feminine supplies, deodorant (which I can also find in HK but not GZ). You will be able to find almost everything here, after you locate where to find them and how to ask for it in Cantonese (actually, write the English name and the pharmacist can look in a book to translate), but it's helpful to have a supply on hand when you first arrive. You will be able to get almost imported food item you need at City Super in Pacific Place or in Oliver's in Prince's Building in Central -- veggimite etc. You can't possibly bring a year's supply of Huggies! Remember that 15 million people or so do fine with what's available here and accept that you will have to be flexible about some requirements! I prefer to buy shoes overseas for reasons of quality and price and selection (as mentioned above). Everyday clothes or seamstress sewn, yes here, but fancy off the rack ones -- stylish and well made -- I never find for a comparable price. Also, bring or acquire a good phrasebook!

cd 18 yrs ago
There's not really anything we bring back now that we can't get here. Obviously that doesn't stop me shopping when I go back to the UK!!!!! Actually we find ourselves looking for the stuff we're used to here when we're back, but some of its not available in the UK, especially the kids cereal that they have here.

To OJ, Calpol is available in many shops in HGK.

squiggles 18 yrs ago
there's a definite shortage of weetabix in hk at the moment....like crystal, i don't know why.

cd 18 yrs ago
Yeah, I had to get Sanitarium Light-Bix the other week, definately don't look like weetabix. Rice milk seemed to disappear for 3 weeks last month but then appeared again, maybe weetabix will too.

MianFei 18 yrs ago
I too heard the advice to bring sheets etc, but the nicest solution in my opinion is to go get some nice silk or lovely soft fabric at the fabric market and have the duvet and sheets custom made.

AdelaideMum 18 yrs ago
I have found sanitarium weetbix (like in OZ) branded as Bixies in the same colour box. So far I have only seen them at Repulse Bay Wellcome, but have been there each time I have looked.

You can't get children's panodol the same as in Aust. but you can get CALPOL which is the same drug but different dosing. I like the familiarity with medicine so I bring it in.

You can't easily find unsweetened tinned fruit here.

@@ 18 yrs ago
I also like the fact that the medicines from Australia are often colour-free, has saved the sofa a few times!

As mentioned you can get almost everything here, it may take a little while to find it but that is where this website has been a lifesaver for us. Good Luck with the move.

Honkyblues 18 yrs ago
Weetabix supplies have obviously just arrived in HK. Just found the it on the shelves of Park n Shop at Parkview and have stocked up (don't worry, I left some for everyone else!)

;-)

Meiguoren 18 yrs ago
Oh, panadol is easy to find!

Kimmi 18 yrs ago
What I would bring from OZ: Daryl Lea licqorish, Daryl Lea Rocky Road, Vicks baby vapour rub, Herbs of Gold:'CHILD' to help with colds. BABY BONDS stuff, UV swims suits (these are available here but expensive). Kids MINTY flavour toothpaste, only available at one store in HK. Beach tent from K-mart much cheeper than HK. Kids shoes from k-mart, target etc. But on the whole you can get most things you need here in HK

cd 18 yrs ago
Childrens panadol is readily available here. Sun tops for swimming can be found cheaply, $79 at Stanley for a childs top, $99 for an adults. Baby vapour rub also available here. And there really is no need to bring nappies. My youngest 2 were born here and always wore Fitti nappies, much cheaper than huggies and never had any leaking problems even as they got older during the night. There are many kids toothpastes available here, maybe your kids will actually prefer, strawberry, orange or bubblegum flavour to mint. Its better in the long run to get them used to whats available here than to worry about importing stuff all the time.

Dani R 18 yrs ago
I found children's Panadol in the City Super basement shopping area at Times Square in Causeway Bay; the area that sells health food and homeopathic items. There is also TONS of sunscreen, etc. from the U.S. there. Take a look, they have quite a selection.

@@ 18 yrs ago
I have never seen colourfree panadol here, is it available?

s1 18 yrs ago
i don't think copha is available here so if u r a choc crackle fan, then consider bringing some.

Kimmi 18 yrs ago
cd, where do I get VICKS baby vapour rub in HK? seen the cherry one-not as good. Also alot of kids that start on fruit flavour toothpaste often find it very difficult to eventually change to mint/peppermint adult at 6 years old.

Kimmi 18 yrs ago
I have that one Cara, but its only for children from 2 years old. Vicks baby vapour rub is from 3 months

Babette 18 yrs ago
I don't know how old your children are, but Stanley Market is Ok for kids' clothes(mostly Gap quality or less) as long as they are 5 or 6 or younger; if they are much above a size US "5" or "110," it can be difficult to find much. Sometimes you will find yourself searching everywhere for a certain dress or jacket, and it will just be easier to order online and have someone (or the company) ship it to you! You can always find athletic shoes for all ages in many shops, but casual shoes for older kids are pricey. It's true that if you have an average or larger foot (or dress size) it may be difficult to find clothes/shoes for you and your spouse. Coming from the US, sizes run smaller here; i.e. a size 8 US women's would be a 12 in Hong Kong-and that it about the largest you find.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad