permanent residency application

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dave_lister 18 yrs ago
I have been living and working in HK for 7 years but I have a gap of about two months in the middle (between jobs) during which I was here on a tourist visa. I am not sure how this would affect my application for permanent residency. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and gone through the process of applying ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
throbbing 18 yrs ago
DL,

This is straight from the HKID web:

A person not of Chinese nationality who has entered Hong Kong with a valid travel document, has ordinarily resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of not less than seven years and has taken Hong Kong as his place of permanent residence before or after the establishment of the HKSAR.

During your 2 months you were not resident in HK, you were visiting as the tourist visa shows you were not resident. You do not get Right of Abode until HKID in effect grant it. I suggest that you contact an expert if you want to pursue the RoA rather than take advice form here. Note you will also normally have to provide 'evidence' you were resident in HK continuously, this could be pages from passport, wages slips etc.

Claire 18 yrs ago
odlhand> Four months and two interviews? That seems a long time. When was this?

throbbing 18 yrs ago
oldhand,

DL had a visitor's visa during the time period (which I assume HKID would have a record of), I may well be wrong but i would imagine you may have stayed in HK between jobs using your previous/existing work visa. DL I would still suggest you at least have a talk to an immigration lawyer.

Claire 18 yrs ago
oldhand> When I did it, there were no interviews - just turn up with relevant papers (which weren't even looked at!) - and it took less than two weeks to get an appointment for the photo taking. Guess I'm a bit out of touch as I didn't realise it took so long now. Thanks for the update.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad