ORIGINAL POST
Posted by tictactoe2 18 yrs ago
my son is around 4.5 and has the following:

5.45 am breastfeed

9.15am formula 120mls

1.30pm 120ml of expressed breast milk

5.30pm 120ml of expressed breast milk

9.30pm breastfeed

What are your thoughts is this around the right level?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
white rabbit 18 yrs ago
My bub is 4 months today and I pretty much feed exactly the same as you.. except he has 2 formula feeds through the day and the rest breast feeds... sometimes I give an extra feed here and there...generaly bub feeds every 4 to 5 hours.If your bub is happy and healthy I think is should be ok.

Matilda 18 yrs ago
A baby of 4 and 1/2 months still needs many breastfeeds during

the day and night to sustain a healthy weight gain . The weather is still quite hot

and babies use mothers milk not just for food but water as well !

I would think that more breast feeds during the day and at night are needed by baby

to keep him well and hydrated .

You would be most welcome to drop inand and discuss where we can put a few more

breast feeds in.

Well Baby Clinic 2849 1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

Kimmi 18 yrs ago
My bub is 4 1/2mths and still breastfeeds on demand during the day and night. During the day I say he feeds at least every 3 hours. During the night he feeds about 2-3 times, between 8-30pm to 5-30am.

Sometimes I find he feeds more, like Matilda says hes proberly firsty too.

firsttimemom 18 yrs ago
My bubbs just crossed 4 months, and is on a 4-ish hourly schedule, 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6:30pm, 10:30pm, and anytime between 2-4am. I fed him on demand the first month, and then slowly put him on a three hourly, then four hourly schedule. His weight gain is not bad, birth was 3.745kgs, and he's now 7.7kgs.

He got very sick at 3 months and when he came back from the hospital and finally started taking the bottle for a week he drank between 8 to 11 oz of breastmilk at his 11am feed. Now he takes a more moderate 5-6oz at his 11am feed. I wonder if his body really needed the extra oz after he was sick and thats why he drank so much after.

If he's very hungry and whingy with it (very rare) inbetween I sometimes top him up, as he's a very fast drinker.

From some mothers I've spoken to, their babies sleep right through the night at this age!!! Yeah, I can dream on... LOL

tictactoe2 18 yrs ago
thanks for all of the replies - in response to one of the above I work full time and that is why he is bottle fed some of the bm and why I give one formula. If he is having only one formula a day should I give him some water (had not really thought about it). He is about 5.2kgs and is bigger than his sibblings at the same age they were only 4.2kgs at the same agge

white rabbit 18 yrs ago
I sometimes give my bub juice that you can get from the supermarket I buy the apple or pair by heinz it says 4+ months on the bottle....bub loves the pear juice and it's nice to just give him this or water in between feeds if he wants a little drink. I think if your bub is happy and putting on weight then it is ok...every baby is different and every parent is different and have different views on things...some things I do such as giving juice at only 4 months have been seen as a no no on this forum but bub is happy with it and so am I...just do what you think is best.if your bub is anything like mine he will let you know exactly how he feels.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi tictactoe,

i started giving my baby (now 7 months) water very early on. this is because he was introduced to formula very early on so water (according to the parenting books i had) said it will help to prevent constipation (which formula can soemtimes do to babies).

but i make sure i don't feed him so much water that it spoils his appetite for the important stuff - milk and now solids.

i don't give juice because i personally feel it's too sugary and he seems happy enough with water.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad