Has bus driver ever yelled at you?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Donnialda 18 yrs ago
Scenario: Traveling home from Shek O on a bus filled to about 90% capacity. At the first stop after pulling away from the bus depot, the bus pulled over and stopped. In the next minute, the driver had come upstairs, walked straight to my seat, pointed at me and yelling in Cantonese, gestured that I must get off the bus. Finally clueing in I didn't understand him, he now spoke in clear English that I did not pay so I must get off the bus... while still pointing and yelling... at me.

Of course I clarified that I had indeed paid and he was only appeased when I was backed up by my friends. The driver, without an apology, then yelled at the bus in general and a local-looking boy in a group of his friends came forward immediately.

Now, I've only been here a few months, but do y'all think the Driver immediately singled me out because of the fabulous tan I'd gotten from my day at the beach, or do y'all think he singled me out because my 'tan' will never fade?

Consider this additionally, my friends, all five of them, who got on the bus & paid at the same time, all have tans that will indeed fade when summer's over.

Dear God, please tell me that the Western world's stupid mentality hasn't followed me here!?!?!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
mamadavid 18 yrs ago
It's impossible to know whether the driver's actions were motivated by racism or by a more general kind madness. It must have been a very unpleasant experience for you -- enough to ruin anyone's day.

Donnialda 18 yrs ago
Thanks All, it's um, "good" to hear that this has happened to others. I was really liking this place because it was so unlike home. I would've been heartbroken if I came half-way around the world to continue experiencing blatant racism.

BTW Brit wiz and Mango, sorry for the cofusion, the bus didn't break down. As I originally stated, the driver pulled it over on purpose to fish out the non-paying customer.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad