Modern Art Museums or Galleries...

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by justinexx 18 yrs ago
...in Hong Kong?

Any recommendations? I've checked out the HK Art Museum (TST) online and I don't think they have a collection of modern art...friends suggested the smaller galleries near SoHo...anything else?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
MianFei 18 yrs ago
Yes the Guangdong Museum of Art.

annebin 18 yrs ago
There's one along Queen's road central, near Standard Chartered bank and M&S. Forgot the name of the gallery but they have interesting pieces, particularly some works by a young Taiwanese sculptor named Ju-jun

clio meer-cleer 18 yrs ago
Try:

- ParaSite in Sheung Wan (www.parasite.com, I think) for installation art - it's not a selling gallery in the way the Soho galleries are. Get on their mailing list and they will send you stuff...

- the Cattle Depot Artist's Village in To Kwa Wan (I think!) - it's in Kowloon, and a bitch to get to (no MTR) but fab - on the site of the old slaughter house. I ask for "Mok Cheung Gai" which is one block away then walk.

- The Hong Kong Art Centre in Wan Chai - on the waterfront next to the Academy of Performing Arts, short walk from Pacific Place.

- HK Visual Art Centre in HK Park - right at the top past the aviary (Kennedy Road, I think).

- Habitus in Western Market in Sheung Wan - more of a shop really, but all local HK designers and artists, plus they have a small exhibition space with interesting stuff.

I've found the contemporary art scene in HK to be seriously underground - the main problem is lack of space. Good exhibitions seem to get moved on very quickly - so if you see something advertised, go straightaway. And the best exhibitions seem to be in out of the way places - Baptist U, Poly U galleries, out in the New Territories. HK magazine has good listings though.

HK won't truly be a "world city" until it has this sorted out...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad