Keeping muffins fresh

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by happychick 18 yrs ago
What is the best way to keep muffins/cakes fresh for the next day?

I like to bake my own muffins but they don't usually taste as nice the next day.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
picked up a tip recently that works really well.

I also love freshly baked muffins.

So I make the batter and then freeze the batter in the liners inside a muffin pan.

after they are frozen solid I pop them out and then stick them in a ziploc bag.

When I want muffins, instead of having to bake a dozen, I just take out 3 or 4 (only my daughter and I eat them) and bake them back in the muffin tin.

just add an additional 10 minutes to most recipes. Works like a charm. Have tried with banana nut, carrot and zucchini. no problems. that way if you like, you can have freshly baked muffins daily

happychick 18 yrs ago
That is fantastic hkchoichoi, I had no idea you could freeze the batter. Like you, only my daughter and I eat cakes and I always end up with a least 20 cake cups or muffins per recipe.

Thank you I'm off to make a batch now!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
raincatcher -

Makes 12

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1 teaspoon baking cinnamon

* 1 teaspoon baking vanilla

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 3 large bananas, mashed

* 3/4 cup white sugar

* 1 egg

* 1/3 cup butter, melted

* 1/2 cup nuts any kind (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use paper liners to line muffin pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Add flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Fold in nuts. Scoop into muffin pans.

3. Bake in preheated oven. Bake mini muffins for 10 to 15 minutes, and large muffins for 25 to 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.

Freezer option - freeze batter in muffin pans, pop out muffins when frozen, and place into ziploc bag. When ready to bake, put back in the muffin pan to keep shape and bake for an additional 10 minutes. No need to defrost.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
note - above - should be vanilla extract not baking vanilla. SORRY!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
happy chick -

how did it go? what kind did you make?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
happy chick -

how did it go? what kind did you make?

happychick 18 yrs ago
Hi hkchoichoi

Yes, I made my daughter's favourite, chocolate chip muffins yesterday. I only baked a few and put the rest in the freezer as you suggested. I had to literally clear out my freezer though as my muffin pans are huge! Good excuse to chuck out stuff that have been hiding in the back..ha ha

I'm going to pop a few frozen ones in the oven this afternoon when my daughter gets back from school and I'm sure she's going to love having fresh muffins everyday. I'll let you know how they turn out!

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
while you're at it - can you give me the recipe? let me know if they freeze and bake well.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad