HK Entry for Taiwanese

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by lastmanineurope 18 yrs ago
Is there a limit to the number of times my Taiwanese girlfriend can exit and re-enter Hong Kong to extend her stay here?

She is allowed to stay in HK for a maximum of 14 days. That means going to mainland China or Macau and re-entering each time on a tourist visa. She was questioned by immigration officers last time she did this (having done it about four times).

She is not working in HK. She is living with and supported by me financially. I am British and have a 2 year work visa and ample funds to support both of us.

Can she be legally refused entry into HK if she has not broken any law?

I have given her my business card and endorsed the back of it saying I certify that I am supporting her financially during her stay in HK. Will this likely help her if she is questioned by immigration officials? She asked them about fiance visas but was told these do not exist in HK.

Any other suggestions for her other than re-entry (and obviously, marriage?)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
TC 18 yrs ago
In theory there is no maximum number, but she can be refused entry if the ID considers she is niot a genuine tourist (which sounds the case anyway). If they think she is using the tourist visa renewal as a way around applying for a longer-stay visa then they are within their rights to refuse entry (or to say this is the last time) to HK on a tourist visa. And the bit about 'fiance(e) visas' not being available in HK is correct. A fiance(e) cannot even get a dependant's visa. And the good news is that it applies to everyone - not just Taiwanese.

Claire 18 yrs ago
If you can prove financial resources and a bona fide relationship (e.g. going to get married) she might be able to get a prolonged visitor visa. You become her sponsor as she will not be able to work.

Absolutely double check with ImmD first of course!

Fill out A, B, and I of the usual forms.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/id(e)936.pdf

She will also have to sign a form declaring she will not breach the terms of the visa. I think you both also have to confirm that you intend to marry at some time in future. Not just some time down the road at the PVV is only issued for up to six months... seems the ImmD does not like long engagements.

The ImmD will want to see evidence of the prior relationship such as photographs, joint bank statements, official communications to both of you at the same address (e.g. bills, tax letters), etc. If you have a long-term relationship this should be not be a problem.

The PVV is automatically cancelled on leaving Hong Kong so a re-entry visa also has to be applied for.

Doesn't one kind of get the opinion that the ImmD doesn't want people to apply for this...

There is also the iPermit for Taiwan people for longer entry. Info here:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_12.htm

associates 18 yrs ago
HK permits a foreigner to stay in HK as a visitor/investor/on the basis of employment/as a dependant/a long term visitor. Each visa has its time limit.For your girlfriend, to stay here as a dependant of yours, without obtaining the proper visa is a breach of the law. The HK Immg has the right to refuse entry to any person . In her case she has breached the law by abusing the visitor visa which is granted only for the purpose of a visit.

May I suggest that you meet with us in an initial consultation (HK$ 2500) so that we may obtain from you further instructions and provide you with advice.

associates 18 yrs ago
HK permits a foreigner to stay in HK as a visitor/investor/on the basis of employment/as a dependant/a long term visitor. Each visa has its time limit.For your girlfriend, to stay here as a dependant of yours, without obtaining the proper visa is a breach of the law. The HK Immg has the right to refuse entry to any person . In her case she has breached the law by abusing the visitor visa which is granted only for the purpose of a visit.

May I suggest that you meet with us in an initial consultation (HK$ 2500) so that we may obtain from you further instructions and provide you with advice.

N.T.S.Kularatne

solicitor

associates 18 yrs ago

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad