How do you sterilise when travelling?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by asking 18 yrs ago
We are going on holiday to OZ in Dec and its just dawned on me that I will need to sterilise bottles/teats/expressing equipment etc..

What do you normally do?

I was thinking that Ill have to buy one of those microwave sterilisers or steriliser tablets??

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
also have sterilizing bags.

sterilizing tablets are easy

or you can just boil them the old fashioned way. Works in a pinch if you have kitchen facilities.

asking 18 yrs ago
For boiling them - how long do I need to do this for?

Where can I get the sterilising bags from?

Cheers

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
10 minutes on a boil. (needs to be boiling for 10 minutes.)

sterilizing bags - I think someone mentioned mothercare - do a search and I think you'll come up with a hit as it was discussed not long ago.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
Lindham sterilising bags from mothercare.

Don't forget your bottle brush!

exeter 18 yrs ago
steritabs are easy for hotels w/o kitchen facilities. Just ask hotel for a bucket big enough for your needs. i bring some chopsticks w me which i put into a glass...viola, i have a drying rack.

cd 18 yrs ago
I use to just take a plastic container and steralising tablets.

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Just came back from a trip to Koh Samui. I used Milton and brought my own bucket. Milton tablet is for 5litter water, but can be broken into half, so you can use a 2.5litter container as well. Remember that you cannot leave any bubbles in the bottle which means it is more convenient if you have a tall bucket than a shallow one.

I first bought disposable Avent bottles and sterile nipple cases, but the bottles come with only one adapter neck which you have to sterilize for each use...So, I didn't use that one. If you want to use the disposable bottles, you need buy several boxes to get several adapters. I honestly think that is a silly design. If you don't have to use the adapter neck, then you can just bring some sterile disposable bottles and sterilized nipples, and you are all set. Insert bags were out of stock at BtoB in Aberdean. Good luck!

Katetam 18 yrs ago
I have travelled alot with my first baby, and recently started with my second, so two babies..... I always sterilize like I do at home, with boiling water, in a kettle. I just bring a kettled for travelling, wash all the stuff with Baby bottle cleanser, lots of Ziploc boxes, and a tong, and ready for action.

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
It may sound strange, but is Ziploc clean to keep steralized feeding equipment? I use it a lot, but it just got me thinking... I think I saw a posting a while ago related to this, but cannot find it.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
hi MM,

maybe you can elaborate on how you use the Ziploc? for me, after i remove the bottles from the steriliser, i assemble them immediately, filled with cooled boiled water. last time i use to store all these bottles in a locknlock box, now i just have a tray, i just add the formula when time to feed!

that said, if i am packing, i do find ziploc bags very useful just to prevent any accidental leakage.

RA 18 yrs ago
I use sterilising tablets. Easy to use, just dissolve in the water. You can get them from your child's Paed.

bingsugue 18 yrs ago
If you're going to a place where microwave over is accessivle, you can use sterilizing bags. I bought sterilizing bag from Bumps to babes. You just wash the bottles, teets, add water and put it in the microwave.

Another alternative is sterilizing tablets, the ones I used were Chicco brand. Bumps to babes have another brand.

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
Wheelymate,

I used ziploks to do the same, but one thing I always wonder is the spoon to measure formula. I put it in a ziplok as is, but I guess I can buy a plastic case that can be sterilized and use that before putting into a ziplok...

Now I am in Athens. I brought a bucket and Milton, but luckely, borrowed a steam sterilizer from hubby's cousin who has 10month old twins!

Matilda 18 yrs ago
Boiling: Is another method of sterilizing. All the bottle-feeding items need to be boiled for a minimum of 10 minutes. You must have a separate pan, only for the purpose of boiling these items. Some items like nipples or teats will have to be replaced more often if you use this method, as they get sticky.

2. Cold water sterilization: Tablets used for this method are available in the market. Dissolve them in the prescribed amount in the prescribed amount of water. This will form a solution that is effective against bacterial. These tablets are safe and will not have any side effects even if swallowed. You can buy a sterilizing unit for this or buy a bucket with a lid, which is used for this purpose alone. You must ensure that the bottles are completely submerged in the solution. For complete sterilization make sure that there are no air bubbles in the bottles. Sterilization should be complete in half an hour, but it is safe to leave items in the solution for 24 hours. Fresh solution must be made every day. Make sure your hands and washed before removing the sterilized equipment.

Matilda Well Baby Clinic 2849 -1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad