Frozen Food Cube thawing

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by asking 18 yrs ago
How do you thaw your frozen baby food cubes?

Read conflicting information - Superbaby food says ok to use the microwave. Annabel Karmel says no and The babys table (bradshaw & Bramley) say no - mainly because they say it destroys nutrients/alters composition of breastmilk and leaches toxins from the container holding the food.

If you dont use the microwave how do you thaw - pretty smartish?

Thought about putting the food in the fridge overnight but its still on the icey side whenever Ive tried it.

Grateful for your experience sharing..

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
scytran 18 yrs ago
Hi asking

I use to put the cubes in an airtight container and place it in the fridge overnight. By morning the cubes have already defrosted. Then I would use either a microwave or steamed the container with the food.

Hope that helps.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
I defrost in Microwave. Glass microwaveable bowl.

If i do add breastmilk, I add it after I've heated it up separately. (not in microwave.)

Katetam 18 yrs ago
I actually never microwave anything my babies eat. If you ever read the articles about the bad things microwave does to food and our bodies, we actually should not even have the microwave in a house, esp with the babies around.

I would do it like scytran said too, but reheat with small pan, or steam. Not microwave.

katyw 18 yrs ago
Yes, I've always used the microwave too. It's very quick.

crj 18 yrs ago
I used to always thaw at night, then heat in the day in the bottle/food warmer - ie, in a bowl of warm water.

Well now that we are on 4 x meals a day and each meal is about 250-300 ml - I (shock!) use the microwave. I never thought I would do this if you asked me a few moths ago - but practicality took hold.

I just be sure to stir really well to eliminate any hot spots.

@@ 18 yrs ago
We use the microwave most of the time - I'm just not that organised to have it all out earlier!

I think there is lots of conflicting reports about microwaves, just do a goggle search to see. From what I did read I'm not too concerned.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
night before, i take out the necessary cubes from freezer and transfer to fridge overnight. for lunch, i usually blitz it in microwave for about a minute. but for dinner, i am usually out during that time so i take the food out with me in cooler bag and food is perfectly thawed when time to eat...i don't heat it up, bub has no issues eating cold food (it's just vegetables, no meat for the moment).

i used to worry about microwave because i cook in advance....but can't be helped, i just make sure i use only containers that say are microwave safe.

just make sure you stir way to eliminate hot spots and get yourself one of those tommy tippee heat sensor spoons!

macaron mania 18 yrs ago
We don't have a microwave because hubby hates the idea of it (he thinks it is bad for health). I am considering investing in Beaba baby cook blender.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Nursery/Baby+Essentials/Baby+Essentials/Weaning/591/230221303/Product.aspx

Does anyone have this? Is this any good for thawing frozen food???

Matilda 18 yrs ago
For slow thawing, place a day's worth of baby food in the refrigerator. It will thaw in about four hours. For fast thawing, use an electric warming dish or a double boiler on the stove top.

A microwave is not advised as dangerous hot spots are much more likely to occur than with other methods of heating.

Matilda Well Baby Clinic - 2849 1500

Matilda International Hospital

Hong Kong

http://www.matilda.org

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad