Living with Chinese/ Learning the culture

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Kaat 18 yrs ago
Be prepared for some major culture shock, especially in an area like Shamshuipo! Are you sure you want to expose yourself to that kind of environment straight away (and sign a leasing contract)?

I've got one advice for you - be careful of fraud, it's everywhere if you're not careful. And I'd hate to say it, but "Westerners" are more vulnerable to fraud as they usually have an open mind and aren't used to the way things work in HK. Get loads and LOADS of opinions from different people (preferably locals you trust) before you commit to anything!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Kaat 18 yrs ago
Let me guess, did u grow up in the North-Western suburbs? =P

Good luck!!

Kaat 18 yrs ago
Mate!! lol

I'm from another part of Sydney but I know people from your area =)

Kaat 18 yrs ago
I've never been to Eastwood before! But never mind that, HK is much more exciting =)

throbbing 18 yrs ago
nselkirk,

Defining what is 'HK culture' is not easy - on one hand it can be designer bags and shopping in big aircon shopping centres and on another it could be about a fishing village in the NT. Sham Shui Po is an area known for its poverty, crime & its large population of mainland (mainly mandarin speaking) immigrants, not well regarded in HK and not the best place to learn HK culture or perhaps meet 'locals'. I would suggest you would be better off moving to a village in the New Territories, easier I'd say to get to know your neighbours and their family/ traditions/culture.

isola 18 yrs ago
Why not ask the people at your Kung Fu school / club?

denalichief 18 yrs ago
nselkirk,

I wholeheartedly agree with moonriver. Sham Shui Po is definitely not a place for someone "fresh off the boat." I strongly suggest you check out Shatin or Sai Kung. There are a lot of decent flats or village houses in Shatin and loads of public transportation to and from the city. You won't be spending more than 30-45 mins commuting to, say Mong Kok. On top of that, it's safer than Sham Shui Po by leaps and bounds.

As for Sai Kung, there's a bigger expat community but locals also abound. If you could find a place near "downtown" Sai Kung, it's only a 20-min mini bus ride to Choi Hung or Hang Hau MTR station.

Of the two area I mentioned above, Shatin is a better choice if your Wing Chun school is located in Kowloon.

Hope this help

P.S. Did you learn Wing Chun from William Cheung or one of his students back home? Just curious ...

Kaat 18 yrs ago
Would you consider living in Taikoktsui? It's very close to Shamshuipo and property prices can range from "bargain" to "OMG" :) - it gets more expensive closer to Olympic MTR station.

I think it's a great area to soak in the culture (e.g. local eateries) yet still have access to modern facilities (e.g. Olympian City) as it is a mix of old and new. Also a very safe and friendly neighbourhood. I've lived here for a year and a half and have had no problems!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad