Moving to HK, where to start?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by throbbing 18 yrs ago
So many questions! OK, so HK$70k is a good salary, way above most HK people (HK$11k pm 'average') but for young western expat lawyers seems reasonable. Costs are cheap in HK for most things (taxis pretty good & way, way lower than London ditto trains) even lunch can be cheap compared to London ie HK$30 in a local chain fast-food style place. If you want a basic flat in mid levels (near Central) you could get a small place for less HK$15k pm). Allow tax about 17%. Employer will sort your visa. Hours at work may be longer but again that does not mean more work, just longer hours! Most locals get about 12 days holiday or so per year. HK likes late start late finish. Banks easy to set up (HSBC or Standard Chartered & others everywhere) but often expats can't easily get credit cards (seen as short-term?). Bottom line is if you want western restaurants, out 3-5 times a week (not unusual), buy a car then you will spend lots if not you save more, up to you, you should be able to bank HK$15k-20k pm and still have fun.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
carmine 18 yrs ago
If you do a search 95% of your questions has been discussed before...good luck

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
look for postings by NY1 - he's also a lawyer and has asked similar detailed questions.

Nara 18 yrs ago
The salary will be definitely enough for you to have a nice life in Hong Kong + saving + maybe some nice trips to close destinations. And 20 days of holiday!!! Most locals have to work over 7 years in a company to get that.

About accomodation, take a look at this:

http://www.parkisland.com.hk/

Very nice place to live with pools & gyms & club house & much more, 25 mins by ferry (nice relaxing way to go to work, you will understand when you get here) to central. Depending on size and view of apartment, $10K per month for a single apartment with 2 rooms. We love it there (me & my German b/f) and so do his friends who plan to move in ^.^

throbbing 18 yrs ago
ovo,

Its worth taking a day trip to see the 'other half' of HK, the bit few tourists see where T- shirts at markets cost HK$10 not US$100! As a suggestion get the MTR to Tsuen Wan, have a look around then take the bus to Tuen Mun & do likewise. Take the LRT (train) to Tin Shui Wai before taking LRT to Yuen Long. Look around then again take West Rail back to HK island. Alternatively take a trip out Sai Kung way, perhaps also take MTR to Tseung Kwan O first and perhaps stop at Kwun Tong on the way back. Buses & trains seem confusing but there is always someone at the terminals/stations who can help you and with Octopus card it easy.

crj 18 yrs ago
You might want to download the free CAB Settling Into HK booklet.

http://www.cab.org.hk/cabbook.pdf

NZlawyergirl 18 yrs ago
the world: I am also a lawyer working in a firm here. Your current hours sound blissful in comparison to the firm I was at in London (and which I transferred here with). Depending on the firm, more likely that your hours will be longer than 6.30pm finishes. Seems to be more emphasis on availablity and less protection of weekends generally than in London. Our firm abolished Sat working on the basis that if you needed to work the weekend then you knew that you needed to work and shouldn't have to come in to do nothing because you were told to. Again, depending on firm, the firm culture is still good here.

I am also on a local package - having transferred here rather than been seconded and I think that this is usual. Not many nice expat packages around which have housing included. But at least being on a local package means that you take advantage of the low tax.

tggb 18 yrs ago
If you are going to be working in Central, perhaps you should consider Happy Valley and Mid-Levels. Both are very popular with expats. I know of some good realtors so if you want to send me a "pm" I'll hook you up. It's best however to realise up front most people are generally not impressed with what they can get for their money in the rental market.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad