what to buy for a 1 year old birthday?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
we have been invited to our first birthday party, kid is turning one. we have been hanging out quite a fair bit with this particular mum and bub...along with a few other mums we have sort of a regular playgroup going on.

we really like them so what would be a good gift - toys or clothes and what is a reasonable amount of money to spend?

thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
my thoughts 18 yrs ago
I suppose the amount of money you spend has something to do with the group you're around, but for us, one of the best gifts has always been books. They are used over and over (and over) again, they don't take up much space in a playroom and they even go travelling with us.

At one year, all the "touchy feely" board books are great, especially those with very recognizable items/occasions--like, in DK's Babies World series, those having to do with baby's bath time, puppies and kittens, etc. Also big hits at that age in our home were Eric Carle's The Secret Birthday Message and the Very Hungry Caterpiller (little fingers love exploring the holes), also Rod Campell's Dear Zoo.

I would think something in the order of 2 or 3 books very sufficient. It can be all quite overwhelming for baby at this stage. At least in HK, some first birthday parties are absolutely huge affairs.

Wheelymate 18 yrs ago
I saw the secret birthday message and thought it was lovely, just wasn't sure if a one year old would be able to appreciate it? and i know for sure he's got the v hungry caterpillar.

maybe a book as a keepsake and a little toy will be nice.

not sure how big the birthday party will be!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad