cooking classes for special needs children

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by 4G 15 yrs ago
My request for earnest advice and feedback

Do children with Special needs get enough opportunities in their respective schools where fun cooking is concerned .

I ask this primarily because I have been told there will not be much demand for fun cooking classes outside the school curriculum

All ideas ,advice , personal experiences will be very welcome

I am trying to get any and whatever feedback I can get ,to find out the real picture out there , and frankly speaking do not know of any other way to do this

Thank you all

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Snow Rose 15 yrs ago
Are you looking for a class for your child? Or thinking of setting up & running cooking classes for SEN children?

If the former, I haven't heard of any around that are specifically aimed at SEN kids. Kids with mild problems may be able to fit in at regular ECA classes, such as the one provided by the YWCA. And if they can't fit in then I guess there are no opportunities for them to do a cookery class, if their parent or DH is interested they may do it at home.

If you are looking at running some classes, the good news is that I don't think you have any competition! Also, there are so few ECA classes for SEN children, I'm sure many people would be glad to have this kind of opportunity.

Of course you'd have to bear in mind safety (e.g. with knives, sticking fingers into blender etc) and also allergies (many of these kids must follow a special and very restricted diet, a few are serious nut allergy sufferers).

You'd also have to consider behaviour: some special needs children have very strong and limited ideas about what they will and will not eat, so they may be perfectly happy to make the food item in class, but don't be offended if they refuse to eat it. Also you'd need to plan properly for situations where a child changes his or her mind & won't participate / has a tantrum (e.g. set up a "cry room" or some suitable place the parent can take their tantruming child and calm him/her down without everyone looking).

4G 15 yrs ago
Thanks Snow rose for all your advice ,I am really grateful into the insights and also the positive feel Thank you

I am looking to start cooking classes for Special children

Actually I would encourage the helpers or parents to come along

cd 15 yrs ago
Try contacting the Jockey Club Sarah School, they have sent out a questionnaire to their parents this week asking who would be interested in after school activities.

4G 15 yrs ago
Thank you cd

Snow Rose 15 yrs ago
4G - I wonder if you have much experience with special needs children? If you are a parent or teacher of one? Otherwise it might be worth your while getting to know some SEN children and their parents for some more insights. Or you could try to organise a 'brainstorming session' at one/some of the schools - you know the ones where you serve coffee & biscuits and give each participant $100 - $200 for their time.

Another thought - if you want the parent or helper to accompany the child, my question would be - can my other (typically developing) child join in? Many mums and helpers have 2 children to look after in the afternoons. Also, if you have a few typically developing children in the class working well the SEN ones will probably respond to the precedent set. If this is not possible, will you hold the class in a location where there's a playground / park / waiting area with toys nearby so my DH could look after my other child while I take my SEN boy to his cookery lesson?

Lastly, about location, will there be convenient parking? Lots of parents of SEN children find that having a car makes life much easier, rather than trying to use public transport, so reliable parking would be pretty essential. (i.e. not just meter parking that can sometimes be all full and then we've nowhere to park the car!!)

4G 15 yrs ago
Thanks for your interest Snowrose

I have done voluntary work in some ESF schools with special children ( I like this term better than special needs ) And also cookery in Bradbury .Now I am considering doing in a place where there is plenty of free parking ,a playground very close .Since you said you have another child and suggest combining the class with few typically developing kids would you consider joining both children for the class .Just wondering if you yourself would give it a shot .

I am planning to have something over the Easter holidays and like offering a first trial session to parents on first come first serve basis

Since there will be special children I dont want to have more than 4 kids at a time

Any thoughts snowrose would be highly appreciated

ddhouse 15 yrs ago
HI,4G, I went through your conversation with snow rose and found it very interesting. I knew one of the local private cooking studio do offer Special Needs Children cooking class on occassion basis, 6 Senses Cooking Studio as one of my girlfriend her kid is austic. the instructor is very caring and professional, the maximum kids she took not more than 3. According to my girlfriend they special tailor the program to feed into individual needs and they also offer gluten free and dairy free products to their clients too!

DD (I am based in Hong Kong)

4G 15 yrs ago
thanks dd house for taking the time to write ,gives me better idea

lockhart 14 yrs ago
www.s6nses.com

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad