Which Montessori school?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by babies0105 15 yrs ago
Hi, I am a mother of 2x14month old girls. We're interested in putting them in the Toddler program of a Montessori program when they are 18 mos old. As we live on the HK Island, we've looked into 3 - IMS (Wanchai), Island Children Montessori (Tin Hau) and Casa dei Bambini (Sheung Wan). Do you have any comments about these schools? Which one would you pick?

Please help! Thx.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 15 yrs ago
IMS I hear is good. How about Woodland Montessori? Very very good.

babies0105 15 yrs ago
I've heard that Woodland Montessori is not the "pure" Montesorri program whereas IMS, Island Children's and Casa follow the AMI program - the 'orthodox' Montessori. I also feel that Woodland (like IMS) is also very very expensive. IMS has a good mix of nationality of kids but the teachers at higher grades didn't seem to be native English speakers. I've spoken to Island Children's. The staff seems really nice and genuine to help. However, the school is quite new and the students are mostly Asians. I haven't gone to Casa yet but have seem very mixed comments about them.

Looking for some comments about these schools so we can make the right decision. :) Thx!

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
"I've heard that Woodland Montessori is not the "pure" Montesorri program "

Agreed. It is not "pure". It is very good though.

"I also feel that Woodland (like IMS) is also very very expensive. "

Agreed there too. But we are very very happy.

Snow Rose 15 yrs ago
My son was at Woodlands at loved it there for 2 years (now happily settled at primary). The Montessori program is very good, even if it's not the 'purest'. My boy is really good at self-help stuff compared to his peers.

babies0105 15 yrs ago
Hi guys, thanks for your comments. We'll check out Woodland just to give us more options. Which Woodland do your kids attend?

Thanks a mill!

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
Mine go to "Woodland Montessori Repulse Bay" (yes, long name). This is not to be confused with "Woodland Beach" 3 minutes away, which is a "traditional" pre-school.

babies0105 15 yrs ago
Have you heard if the Woodland Montessori on Caine Rd is any good? Any parents of kids going there now?

Thanks!

Nicher 15 yrs ago
My 2.5 years old attends the one on Caine Road. The teachers are so far quite nice and my son enjoys it, but you'll find the campus rather crowded. They used to let children in 15 min before class starts so they can get to warm up a bit. But for the last couple weeks they didn't let children into the school way until class has started, so basically parents and children had to wait at the road side for at least 15 min. And you know how busy and narrow Caine Road is... I can imagine it could be pretty dangerous.

babies0105 15 yrs ago
Thanks Nicher. Any reasons why the school is delaying the kids from entering the school? How many kids do they have to a classroom and the student/teacher ratio?

Thanks.

Nicher 15 yrs ago
My mistake - I checked with the school yesterday and they said according to the school rule, they only let children into the school campus 5 min before class starts. And they have no responsibility to let parents and children in if they come earlier than that. Well but I do remember the few times I took my son to school we were allowed to get in at least 10-15 min before the class. Anyway...

As for student/ teacher ratio, for playgroup you should expect 1 teacher to max 10 students (accompanied by one adult). For stepping stone class it's 1 teacher + 1 assistant to max 7-10 students.

TonyT 15 yrs ago
Hi, just found your discussion and would like to share my Montessori experience with you.

First of all I am very surprised that you are so focused in Woodland. It is pretty commercial and the kids are stuffed into small rooms. It is even more shocking to read about those numbers at Woodland Montessori. ! teacher for 10 children and a helper? How shall your child grow Montessori like, if it has the helper around whom is used to do everything for your child?

I guess we are just so spoiled from The Montessori School of Hong Kong (Caine Rd 5). There the student teacher ratio is just 1 teacher for a max 6 children and no helper or parent needs to attent. Our boy is developing very well. He is keen to be independent and loves to show off his new skills. This school is very orthodos and focuses on the education of every individual child.

I would suggest you to go and have a look yourself. They are pretty competent and take time for you during a school visit.

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
"It is even more shocking to read about those numbers at Woodland Montessori. ! teacher for 10 children and a helper? How shall your child grow Montessori like, if it has the helper around whom is used to do everything for your child?"

Where did you get those numbers? And there are only two helpers at the school. They clean and prepare food. Our kids are at Woodland Montessori and the teacher ratios are thus:

- Playgroup. Up to 2y4m: Parent or helper accompanies child. One teacher for 6 children.

- Stepping Stones. 2y4m->2y8m: 1 teacher for max 8 children. However the class never seems to have more than 5-6 at Repulse Bay Montessori.

- Pre-school. 2y8m->: 2 teachers for max 12 children. So the same 1:6 ratio as you quote.

As for small rooms, I never felt this was the case at Repulse Bay, even at the old facility. I mean they're not huge but it never felt cramped.

Maybe we don't know anything else but we are very satisfied with Woodland Montessori Repulse Bay. Our children thrive and learn and grow in a great way.

kitkat 12 yrs ago
Discovery Montessori School has two campuses. One in Disocvery Bay and one in Central. It also follows AMI Montessori Curriculum.

pensees 12 yrs ago
http://www.montessori.org/sitefiles/montessori_101_nonprintable.pdf

Fake Montessori school...aka Childcare:

more teachers in classroom to give

too much attention to each child,

creating their dependence on adults

rather than working with

and learning from their peers...

or trying to figure things out

by trying different things.

Authentic Montessori school:

less teachers in classroom.

This creates an environment where

the children go to each other for help

rather than create a dependence

on the adults (teachers/assistants)

Historically, Montessori classrooms

have 25-35 students with 2 teachers

and a helper.

banting 11 yrs ago
Hi,

I'm an AMI certified Primary (Casa) teacher. I agree with everything pensees (above post) has said EXCEPT teacher student ratio. Traditionally Montessori classrooms have 30-35 students with ONE teacher and NO assistant presence in the classroom. This ratio was suggested by Maria Montessori herself. It is up to you to decide if this works for you or not, most parents opt for "not." I just wanted to share this information with you so that you can compare the original vision with the now very low student teacher ratios of Hong Kong Montessori schools.

Gobi 11 yrs ago
Anyone knows a Montessori in Kowloon?

nakbar 11 yrs ago
I'm also looking for a good preschool for my son, who is 3.5. I am considering Sunshine International, at the Pok Fu Lam location. Anyone have experience to share with this school?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad