Moving from Tokyo to Hong Kong: Appliances - Refrigerators/TV's/Washing/Drying Machines

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by agc3268 15 yrs ago
I will be moning to Hong Kong from Japan. I just bought a large Plasma TV, Refrigerator and Washer/Dryer. I understand the NTSC versus PAL and voltage differences. Wanted to understand if anybody can help me with the following questions:

1) TV is made for NTSC format and HDTV in Japan. Any conversions from NTSC to PAL that doesn't sacrifice quality of the picture

2) Will appliances like refrigerators and Washer/Dryers from Japan work in Hong Kong if I purchase a converter?

3)Is it worth bringover over or just buy them there?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 15 yrs ago
First off, Japan is on 100 volts. HK is on 220 (or is it 240?).

1) Most new brand name TVs support both NTSC and PAL so no conversion needed. Check the manufacturer's website. However HK uses 220-240 volts while Japan uses 100V. Check that your TV supports 100-240.

2) You can use a transformer but I wouldn't recommend it for anything that uses more than about 300-400 watts (thus forget the fridge and washer/dryer). The transformer would be huge and you'd lose a lot of power. For small stuff like phone chargers, bring them along anyway and buy a transformer here. Having said that, most modern phone chargers support multiple voltages.

3) Check for all your appliances if they support 220-240 volts. If they do, bring them along. If they don't, buy here. The exception being small stuff.

Highway-9 15 yrs ago
Some areas of Japan are 50HZ whilst others are 60HZ.

Eastern Japan - Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohoma, and Sendai areas are 50 Hz; Western Japan - Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima areas are 60 Hz.

Frequency (measured in HZ/Hertz) affect the speeds of certain motors but since Tokyo is 50 Hz there would be no difference.

As the other poster said the washer/dryer is impracticable because of the heavy load (amperage) it would draw.

The fridge is a different matter, IMHO, as the power draw is less (although they have a start-up surge). IF your fridge has particularly neat features OR is only a year or so old it would be worth buying an AUTOTRANSFORMER which take an input voltage and either step it up or down. The voltage tag would read 0-110-220/240V 50Hz.

There are many sources in HongKong - just make sure your unit can handle a higher startup surge, which is an easy requirement to meet. The post startup load is LESS than the startup, so is less important.

Use Google or Alibaba to locate HKG sources.

rasbro 15 yrs ago
hi i moved here a couple years back from tokyo. no point in bringing the TV as it will not work without a lot of work and effort. you can buy quality stuff here for slightly cheaper than japan prices. you can also get multi-system, multi-voltage goods here easily which will save you the problem of doing it again when you move next time...

fridge, washer/dryer as someone said above takes too much energy to use a transformer easily on, besides they are cheap and delivered to your home for free. if you are not picky just go to Fortress (chain store similar to BicCamera etc) when you arrive, get the stuff and have them deliver and setup.

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
Fortress is a good tip. You'll have the stuff within two days. If you buy "in bulk" you can often get a 10-15% discount.

andyng 14 yrs ago
all the cost to have it buy at hong kong TV+washer+dryer+fridge ~HKD20000, which almost equal your transportation cost, not to mention all the trouble bring it over, btw, the tv will not work at all.

i am based in HK

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"btw, the tv will not work at all."

Not at all a given. Quite a few TVs these days work anywhere in the world.

JenJenW 14 yrs ago
Yes. I also agreed that its more convenient that you buy in Hk than transport it from Japan. Getting electric appliances like TV or washing machine in Hk is as convenient as Japan.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad