Working in Norway, living in Hong Kong

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bardur 14 yrs ago
Hi there,

I want to ask if anyone has any experience in this kind of stuff.?!

(1).

I have Danish nationality, but I'm born and have my address in the Faroe Islands (Part of denmark).

I work in the offshore Oil business in Norway, so I'm on the job for 4 weeks, and off for 4 weeks and so on.

And my salary is paid to my Faroese account, but I pay taxes to norway, wich pays it back to the company. (Net. taxed agreement in scandinavian offshore)

Does anyone know if I have to pay additional taxes in HK, if I moved my address to HK ?

(2).

My wife lives in HK, and is here on a Work VISA. I also live in HK, but I'm on a visitor VISA, because I don't need to work in HK, but just live here. So I just stay 4 weeks at the time, so it's no problem for me. But I can't buy/rent/stand for, anything, as I don't have a ID card, or proof of income. in HK..

Does anyone know what I should do to get a ID card? and be able to move to HK "legally"..?

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"Does anyone know if I have to pay additional taxes in HK, if I moved my address to HK ? "

I'm not an expert, but typically you pay taxes in the country where you are resident. Resident is typically defined as spending more than 6 months of the year there. (The US is a big exception to this rule.) So it really depends on the number of days you spend in each country.

"Does anyone know what I should do to get a ID card? and be able to move to HK "legally"..? "

I'm going to guess that your wife can take you as a dependant, or you can be employed in HK. Call Immigration to be sure.

Ausman 14 yrs ago
Tax no, ID an issue.

You can rent, open bank account etc..... however, purchase a house, car, you would need to do this in your wifes name.

bardur 14 yrs ago
thanks for the answers.

but the thing for me, is that my wife doesn't have the income to support me, or stand for anything... as it is I who has the higher income.

And I guess it wouldn't be a problem to talk to the immd dep. and ask about this stuff. But I don't see why the HK gov. needs me to rely on a company that is located in HK ? I mean in my case, my company is in Norway, and I get my money from Norway, and if I moved to HK, I would probably pay tax to HK. so it's a win-win situation for HK.. ?!

But I guess the best thing I could do was talk to them. does anyone know how to get an appointment ? or where it's best to go, for some answers ?!?

thanks..

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Start by calling the hotline. http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/contactus.htm

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad