Help with late car license renewal

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dizzyhytes 14 yrs ago
I have a 1998 car and just realised it is due for renewal. However I am travelling and by the time I get back, the license would have expired.

As the car is old, it needs to have the MOT test done before I can renew the license. But in order to do the MOT test, I need to drive it to the garage to be done; with an expired license. But without the license, I can't get it to the garage (without spending a lot to get a tow truck to bring it to the garage).

It's a Catch 22.

Any idea what I can do? Can I apply for a temporary extension of the license so that I can get everything done?

Thanks

DH

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hmm 14 yrs ago
Not that I'd recommend it, but I just drove mine 5 minutes over to my local mechanic... I was insured but it wasn't licensed... legal? no. easiest? yes.

My mechanic also told me that he has some plates that he would just give me to bring it with if I go there first in a taxi...

Sapphire 14 yrs ago
I was under the impression that car insurance is invalid if the car license has expired?? Perhaps you need to check that with your own insurer ... in case you have an accident whilst driving without a valid license ... or in case you get pulled over by the police .............

dizzyhytes 14 yrs ago
Thanks everyone. I am now trying to find a mechanic with these red plates who can do everything for a fee.

Hmm, is your mechanic within reach of the midlevels and would you be able to provide his contact details? Do you think he would give me those plates so that I could drive my car to him? How much would it cost to have him handle the MOT test for me?

Or if I have to get a tow truck to go myself to a testing centre, does anyone know where the nearest one to the midlevels is? Can I just show up with my car (well the towtruck and my car), or do I need to make an appointment first?

Thanks very much.

MarathonHK 14 yrs ago
You can drive the car even though the licence has expired. When you fill in the renewal form, they actually ask you to prove you didn t drive the car, if not they consider you did drive it. If you did drive, you just need to pay a small feed per day you used your car without the licence. (around30HKD per day if I recall).

MarathonHK 14 yrs ago
Also, when I drove my car unlicenced for 7 days, the insurance was still valid.

hmm 14 yrs ago
Bennett at Lido garage in Happy Valley. Perfect English, there for many, many years. Not sure of street name but it is just off sing woo road near the starbucks. Very affordable and he won't fix anything that doesn't need fixing...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad