Getting to the airport early in the morning

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by veganjenny 14 yrs ago
I live in SoHo and need to get to the airport for a trip to Thailand that takes off at 8:15. The travel agent said we should get there 2 hours before the plane takes off, which is a little bit before Airport Express gets there. So … a few questions:

* Does it matter if I get to the airport less than 2 hours before the plane takes off? Or is it a really good idea to be there 2 hours in advance?

* Anyone have recommendations for good cabs to call? Even if I take the Airport Express, I'll probably want to be at Hong Kong station before the escalators start running, and don't want to carry my luggage down the stairs.

Thanks!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
MarathonHK 14 yrs ago
I ve flewn a few times to Thailand at 8AM and have always arrived only 1 hour before the takeoff.. I thought this was the standard in HK. I have never had any problem with this. (both thai airways and dragon air)

tpol 14 yrs ago
unless you are unlucky and there is a MTR or traffic problem. It happened to me once, not in HK but in Sydney. Major Traffic jam

MarathonHK 14 yrs ago
I live in pokfulam and will usually leave (by taxi) around 6.30 for a 8.00AM flight.

The road is usually very quiet at that time.

veganjenny 14 yrs ago
Any tips on how to get a taxi? Should I call one or should I just go the street and wait?

I don't know the numbers of any taxis, so if you have suggestions and phone numbers for cab companies, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Ed 14 yrs ago
My rule of thumb is to leave for the airport 2 hrs before the flight departs whether that means starting my hike over the train from our office in Central, or if I leave very early and take a taxi, I try to be in the taxi within two hours of takeoff - and I take the western tunnel as there is no traffic ever....

That gets me to the counter with just over an hour to spare.

If you leave at 630am I doubt you will have any problem getting a cab so I wouldnt bother to call

veganjenny 14 yrs ago
Thanks! For peace of mind, I'd like to catch a cab around 5:30. Are there cabs running around SoHo at that time? I'm generally not out on weekdays at that hour. Thanks!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad