GPRS 3G server speed

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by axptguy38 14 yrs ago
In 10 years of using broadband and mobile broadband, I have never encountered a service that gives you the actual stated speeds. It even says so in the contract conditions of every single carrier.

In mobile broadband especially, speeds depend on a huge variety of factors, not least the quality of the signal at that precise time and place.

Bottom line, I doubt you'll do better with anyone else.

BTW if you have an iPhone, you can use the free app "Speedtest" from www.speedtest.net . Note that you'll have to measure on several occasions to get an average.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
Hey I agree with you. The problem is that you'll never get PCCW to admit that their speeds are bad. You'll run into the "speeds vary" speech every time. The wider problem is that every one of the operators will tell you the same thing.

onemorething 14 yrs ago
What device is "your friend" using? The speed limitation could be due to the processing power of "your friend's" phone or modem.

Secondly, HSDPA speeds of 7.2Mbps can only be achieved if you are the only user on the cell, and you are standing right next to it motionless. I bet that if you ordered PCCW's 1.8Mbps service, you would actually not achieve that theoretical maximum speed either.

1010 deploys "NextG", which supposedly gives you up to 21Mbps.

False advertising? Perhaps... I mean this is Hong Kong where they sell 800sqft appartments as 2100sqft.

PS There is no such thing as "GPRS 3G". GPRS is a 2G protocol.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
"PS There is no such thing as "GPRS 3G". GPRS is a 2G protocol."

Quite. However PCCW sales calls it "GPRS" regardless of generation.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad