Shenzhen shopping

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by dougouolo 11 yrs ago
Wanted to make a contribution with some data points. Past threads in the post served as good reference points, but even the most recent ones were at least a year old.

In any case, went to Shenzhen, specifically Lowu Commercial Center, this morning with a plan to buy prescription sunglasses, a tailored suit and DVDs.

Sunglasses - they turned out well, except that the lenses came out a lot thicker than the salesgirl let on because of my 600+ prescription. Should've known to ask specific questions about what index the lenses would be, 1.5, 1.6, 1.67, 1.74. Will know next time. Glasses were finished in 1 hour. First price offered was 350, and eventually paid 180. I felt good about the price at the time, until I saw some shops advertise regular prescription glasses for 80 total. The high index, 1.67, thin lenses were being offered with frames for a starting price of 320 in those shops I saw afterwards.

Tailored suit - made with 180's wool/cashmere, starting price of 680, paid 550. Pick up in one week. Most things were customizable including hand stitching on the lapels and edge of suit and workable sleeve buttons. Will go in for an interim fitting next week after he builds the skeleton, then pick up finished product a week after that. I asked for 150's and 120's material, but the shop I went to didnt have any. I did not go looking in the fabric specific stores for materials, just went to a random tailor with a respectable looking shop. Will post later when I get the suit and have worn it a few times.

DVDs - starting price of 12, paid 8.

Lessons learned, I felt good with the prices I negotiated, but think that they could've gone lower if I was willing to walk away. Because both they and I had already invested some much time picking the frames and suit material, I felt compelled to make the transaction.

Strategies to employ next time. 1) go early, around 10am. only a few shops were open at 10, so I didn't feel rushed. I could window shop freely without shopkeepers pressuring me. 2) be willing to walk away. I walked away from a couple of items that were going to be impulse buys and feel good that I got a price reference point without purchasing.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
CaptDave 11 yrs ago
thanks, helpful post

Cucaracha 11 yrs ago
You did a great job.

A small recommendation. Although the sunglasses you bought in Shenzhen are most likely fine, it still doesn't hurt (for the safety of your eyes) to double check here in Hong Kong that they have full UV protection. If you find that they don't, not to worry, simply take them back to the shop where you bought them and they will redo the lenses for you. I always ask for full UV protection, but then I have them checked in here Hong Kong. I bought a pair of sunglasses in LoWu in which one lens was fine but the other lens wasn't. I brought them back and they quickly fixed them for me. I had them rechecked in Hong Kong and they were fine.

If you have any problems with a DVD you have bought in LoWu, go back to the person that you bought it from and have them exchange it for a good copy. Try to go back to the same person for DVD's so you don't have to renegotiate price, although they will all very quickly agree to 8rmb.

The shopkeepers in LoWu are very hardworking, are generally very nice and for the most part also reliable.

When negotiating with a shopkeeper you don't know, it doesn't hurt to randomly mention that you're from Hong Kong as opposed to being a tourist. If they think you will be back, they tend to want to give you a better price than if they think they will never see you again. Always let them know that you will be back -- and hopefully you will return many times to come.

LoWu is a wonderful place to shop.

pir 11 yrs ago
wow.. very helpful information.

Planning to get some tailored suits there, any shops you can recommend?

thanks

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad