Advice on living in Sai Kung/Clear Water Bay areas

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hardcasa 11 yrs ago
My husband and I and our 18 mo old live on HK island at present and have done for the last 3 years (we are expats and don't speak anything other than basic Cantonese). We are considering a move to SK or CWB to benefit from a bigger place, cleaner air and a garden. However, I am unsure about whether we will find that we miss a lot of things that we take for granted here. I have been to SK but have never been to CWB (though we will do soon).

I would love to hear opinions on one or all of the queries below from people who live in these areas. Please feel free to just answer some of the queries if you do not have all the answers.

1) What is the commute on (a) public transport (b) by car to Wan Chai from CWB & SK? How do you get to Wan Chai from SK without a car?

2) What is the easiest way to get to the airport and how long does it take?

3) What are the beaches like? Safe for swimming? Clean?

4) Where are the nearest western supermarkets? I understand in SK people tend to buy local more, is this possible in CWB also or would I end up driving to SK?

5) If I wanted a cafe or restaurant where would I go to from CWB? What is in the villages around that area?

6) If I lived in CWB and wanted to run, do yoga etc would I have to go to SK to do so? And are there places in SK?

7) Where are their public swimming pools?

8) Is it really expensive to join the CWB golf club to use their facilities?

9) If we were ill where are the nearest english speaking doctors? And if we needed a hospital where is the nearest one? (to both SK and CWB)

10) Can I push a pushchair around where I live usually in SK or CWB?

11) If we are in CWB would we struggle because we do not speak Cantonese?

12) I have seen many properties around Tai Hang Hau, CWB, how far is the drive from here to (a) SK and (b) Hang Hau MTR station?

13) Are there any indoor or outdoor play areas for toddlers in CWB or SK?

14) My son plays football and has swimming lessons here currently, where could he do those in SK or CWB?

15) Is it possible to get taxis back from HK island to CWB or SK after a dinner out on the island for example? or will the drivers not usually do the trip?

16) What, if anything, do you miss about living in SK or CWB vs living on HK island?

Thank you in advance

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Sapphire 11 yrs ago
Hi, we lived on HK island for 10 years and finally made the move to SK 2 years ago, which we do not regret at all. In fact we have no desire to ever move back to the island!

Whilst I can't answer all of you questions, as our children are now grown up, I will answer some of the others as best I can ....

1. a) From SK town to Wanchai on public transport approx 50-60 mins, depending on time of day, but this depends on where in SK you live as you may need to get a bus into SK town first ...

1. b) By car from SK to Wanchai approx 35 mins, again depending on time of day.

Without a car from SK to Wanchai we would get the 101 green mini bus from SK town to Hang Hau MTR, change at North Point to Wanchai. Very easy. From CWB times would be a bit less.

2. We always get a cab to the airport - approx $350/400 - takes around 45 mins. Otherwise MTR, but not sure of timings as we haven't done that.

3. Many beaches around SK which my grown-up kids go to often on sampans - tend to be very clean.

4. In SK there is Wellcome and PnS, as well as many local fruit & veg shops/stalls with very fresh, good quality produce. As well as a great bakery with freshly made bread everyday! And a butchers shop which also stocks lots of other imported items that you often can't buy in the supermarkets! CWB has a PnS, but lacks other stores, so there isn't as much choice when you need to do your shopping, so a trip into SK may be required ...

5. Not sure about CWB - you can find cafes etc in Hang Hau. SK has an abundance of cafes/restaurants to choose from.

6. Many places in both CWB and SK to run/hike/walk. As far a yoga is concerned, I don't know about CWB but I have seen adverts for yoga in SK.

7. There is a public swimming pool in SK.

8. Don't know the exact cost, but I have heard it is very expensive to join ....

9. In SK town there is a very nice lady doctor (Singaporean) who speaks very good english, my familiy have used her and she is very good. Alternatively, Owens, Trod & Partners have a practice in Razor Hill.

There is a hospital at Tseung Kwan O which is just minutes from CWB and about 15 mins from SK, and Prince of Wales Hospital at Shatin about 15/20 mins from SK.

10. Pushing a pushchair around should not be a problem, certainly not in/around SK town as it's all very flat. Obviously, if you choose to live on a steep hill this may be more difficult. I remember when we were looking at houses, there were many in CWB which were up/down very steep hills. The same would obviously apply in SK if you lived in one of the villages higher up. However, there are many properties which aren't on hills so I don't see it being a problem for ...

11. I have many friends living in both SK and CWB who do not speak Cantonese ... it is not a problem for any of them.

12. I haven't timed how long it takes to get from Tai Hang Hau, but I wouldn't imagine more that 15/20 mins by car to Hang Hau MTR, and about 30 mins to SK ...?

13. Certainly there are outdoor play areas in SK, not sure about CWB - I'm sure some parents of young children could advise you on this.

14. Again I'm sure parents of young children could advise you about this ... I have definitely see children with their football/rubgy kits on so I'm sure it's available locally.

15. Yes, you can get taxis home to SK/CWB. Strictly speaking, island taxis should not refuse a fare to take passengers to SK/CWB. Sometimes they can be a bit grumpy about it, so I tend to get into the taxi first, then tell them where I want to go ... if you pop your head in to ask first, they sometimes say no, so best not to give them the opportunity!LOL You do have to pay the toll fare both ways though if it's an island taxi. Alternatively, you can get a Kowloon taxi, either at a cross-harbour taxi stand, or by waving one down by doing the 'under the tunnel' sign with your hand ... they are usually the taxis with their taxi light on, but their 'for hire' sign is covered up ... these taxis will take you without any problems. Generally, I don't have any problems with taxis taking me home.

16. There is nothing we miss about not living on HK island ... we wished we had moved to SK years ago!:-)

hardcasa 11 yrs ago
Thank you Sapphire much appreciated

akarez 11 yrs ago
When you guys are referring to SK, where in SK you guys are talking about? SK is quite huge :S

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad