Losing Permanent Resident status whilst living abroad

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by hkphil 11 yrs ago
Hi all, I am a British national who has born in Hong Kong in 1975 (3rd generation born in HK, Grandfather and Mother too!) and resided there until 2004, when I moved to the UK. Since moving to the UK, I visited HK at least once a year from 2005-2009 but have not been back for the past 4 years due to family health issues. I do not have the new smart ID card either, just the previous ID card.

I have heard that permanent residents who were born in HK (and not Chinese nationals) can lose their permanent residency if they are outside of HK for a period longer than 36 months. The thought of losing the right of abode/permanent residency in my home/birthplace really worries me as I may return to love and work in HK one day.

In light of my circumstances, do you think I have a chance of re-obtaining my permanent resident status from the Immigration Dept if I return to HK this year?

Any advice or feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
You have "Right to Land", and as I understand it, if you stay long enough you can regain your ROA.

www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/idcard/roa/terms

190k 11 yrs ago
Yes you lose your "Permanent" (which is not permanent) but you still have the Right to Land vote and work but not stand for election to Legco, District councils. also you cannot be deported for criminal offences etc in HK.

Make the whole thing about permanent a joke as it is only valid for 36 months. Both my kids, born here as was me, the father, the grand mother and great grand mother born in HK

Loyd Grossman is Miss Venezuela 11 yrs ago
190k. With "Right to Land" you can be deported for any offence with a jail term over 5 years - if my memory serves me correctly. Only permanent residents cannot be deported. HKphil. You can still work and live in HK, i think< and after seven years you'll be a permanent resident again. Come back to HK with your old ID card and get it renewed at Immigration.

hkphil 11 yrs ago
HI all, thanks for your advice. I'll read up a little more on the 'right to land' regulations. Will also give the HK immigration Dept a call. I'm planning on visiting in October so will try and get my old ID card renewed.

I had assumed that my 'permanent' ID meant just that and that I would always be able to come back to my true home to live and work. Like you, 190K, I am also third generation born in HK and thus have strong roots and ties in HK. A 'Permanent' ID card should mean forever and limiting it's validity to 36 months makes a mockery of HK's legal system - what a joke!

190k. What you have is fine - unless you planning major bank heist in HK. Just come back and get a new ID card. You still have the right to live and work in HK.

190k 11 yrs ago
Im not the OP I still have my PR status

simmydan 11 yrs ago
What's the big deal with PR status anyway, seems like almost nothing really. Largely just hype. The right of abode (so the right to live in one of the most expensive places in the world) and the right to vote in this grand HK "democracy" (read "Beijing") aside, which of course it's plain to see are not even benefits, what else is there?

Am not trying to be awkward, I have PR like many others. Yet also like many others, don't really know what the actual benefits are. Seems like the majority don't and is just something you get when your time comes, nothing more. If that is the case, why the whole furore surrounding PR. Seems very overblown and a fuss over almost nothing.

Well, if you want to buy a flat and can afford to do so, PR status means you don't have to pay the whopping 15% additional Buyer's Stamp on a new flat (assuming you don't own one already).

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad