Should I cut carb...

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Suagrcane 10 yrs ago
Learning from a post recently that we should cut carbs to effectively lose weight…

As CNY is apporaching, I am thinking if I should start to cut carbs from today and I can eat more in CNY for a balance?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
SJC2504 10 yrs ago
Cutting carbs and increasing your protein intake is commonly used for weight loss. However, you have to really increase protein and vegetable intake (eat huge meals, its okay!) to keep away hunger. Increase exercise, drink only water, tea and coffee and you should see a difference. You can have carbs in the form of sweet potato or quinoa though.

If you want even more dramatic loss, cut out sugar completely and limit fruit to one serving a day... darker, thinner skinned fruit is best like blueberries. Do this only for a limited time however, to detox.

I have to reiterate though that you will need to really increase your vegetable amount to continue to get necessary fibre (plus naturally occurring carbs). You should also have some form of natural oils.. so olive oil and avocados are good.

If you are doing this until CNY and then plan to just indulge on carbs... I don't really see the point if I am honest.... by denying yourself beforehand so severely, you will more than likely eat double the carbs you would otherwise at CNY.

Ed 10 yrs ago
I've cut out most high carb foods (no bread - rice - pasta - minimal fruit) --- I don't find that I have to compensate with big meals of protein or vegetables --- I don't think this needs to be an excuse to fill up with non-carb foods...

I actually find I eat less overall and am not hungry because I am not getting the carb sugar spike that leaves you feeling hungry after consuming carbs....

Helenanna 10 yrs ago
agree with the above.

You can't effectively lose weight or at least maintain your weight with cutting carbs..

We need carbs to feed ourselves and support anyway..

I have to admit that I tried cutting carbs and just have yogurt and fruits when I was younger. It is true that I lost quite some weights in the first few weeks, but then I found myself feeling really unwell that I always feel dizzy and I just went yellowish...

And when I tried to go back to a normal diet and re-consumed carbs and proteins, I thought I just absorb every bit of calories as my weight bumped...

abalonely 10 yrs ago
No, you should not cut carbohydrates in order to lose weight. You should look at making lifestyle choices that are sustainable in the long term, i.e. healthier food choices, watching your calorie intake, and taking up exercise. If you go on a low carb diet and lose weight, when you go off this diet, then you will find that you will just gain back the weight again.

By the way, are you Chinese?

Ed 10 yrs ago
Just a quick clarification .... by 'cutting carbs' I assume you mean cutting down on carbs - not cutting out carbs... because cutting out carbs would mean eliminating all vegetables and fruit from your diet --- both have carbs.... that would not be a healthy diet to follow.

Cutting out bread, pasta and rice - or cutting down on them - should help you lose weight - and remain healthy - keep in mind this needs to be a permanent lifestyle adjustment... if you revert to eating a lot of high carb foods after a period without --- you will quickly gain the weight back

Suagrcane 10 yrs ago
Sorry for the late response.. Just came back from business trip..

I think I just can't stand losing weigh with cutting carbs.. I started to feel really dizzy on the first night .. And just simply couldn't stay focused and clear on the second day working..

FYI, I just meat to cut down carbs to no pasta and rice, not meaning cutting down even the veggie :) thanks for the caring question!

And yes, I'm a Chinese. Anything Chinese traditional tips?? :)

abalonely 10 yrs ago
I grew up eating rice every day for the evening meal, so I know that carbohydrates are not the cause of being overweight. Some people resort to a low carb diet in order to lose weight, and they are successful on it. But that does not mean that a low carb diet is the only way to lose weight. Many people are able to lose weight, and many people maintain a healthy lifestyle while consuming carbohydrate sources such as rice and pasta.

I recommend the following book for you, concerning the traditional Chinese diet. It is written by an Englishwoman who has spent time in China. It is available from the public library so that you don't have to buy it:

http://www.cookchineseinyorkshire.co.uk/buy-the-book.html

fionsha 10 yrs ago
If you don't have a problem trying Chinese methods, you may actually try Chinese medication maybe? Not exactly Chimed herbs that's bitter, but maybe herbal tea? I can share with you some of my recipes if you don't mind trying:)

Suagrcane 10 yrs ago
Bought the book:) seems an interesting one with some stories.

Just hope that I can have some time for the cooking..

And I of course won't mind any Chinese recipes provided that I used to see Chimed a lot when I was still very young. It would be very nice if you can share your recipes

Suagrcane 10 yrs ago
Bought the book:) seems an interesting one with some stories.

Just hope that I can have some time for the cooking..

And I of course won't mind any Chinese recipes provided that I used to see Chimed a lot when I was still very young. It would be very nice if you can share your recipes

fionsha 10 yrs ago
For I lose weight by doing exercise and seeing Chimed, you may try this recipe from my Chimed: ( I read this from her books as I am not sure if my recipe is good for you as mine are tailor-made one)

Ingredients:

3 qian of shan zha

3 qian of China-root

2 qian of maiya

2 qian of ke ya

2.5 qian of hou po

2.5 qian of bai zhu

3,5 bowl of water

Procedures:

Wash all ingredients and soak for 30 minutes. Bring to boil. Adjust to medium heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Strain off pulp and set aside juice and it is fine to serve.

This is helpful for you to “overcome” CNY as it is especially helpful in relieving indigestion. Hope that helps:)

I am not sure if my Chimed has this recipe on her Facebook but you can go check her out. She updates the page quite regularly and there are always sharing of making DIY mask and nourishing tips. I can send you private message for the link.

maxis 10 yrs ago
For everyone it is different.

However two of the nasties are oil/fat and sugar.

Oil and fat are in everything we eat which is prepared by someone else. Take a look at the ingredients on the labels of things you buy. The style of cooking, in particular meats, determines the amount of fat we ingest.

If you want to lose weight, it is a lifestyle change and not a temporary diet issue, or the weight wil all come back.

If you are serious, this will give you results:

1. Grill or steam meat, prior to frying if you must

2. Boil meats and skim of the fat for such dishes

3. Wipe out softdrinks, or at least have the diet or zero sugar versions.

4. Try using much less oil in the pan, or none at all if you can

5. Rice is almost culturally impossible to drop from your diet. So just have less and more vegetables instead

6. Dont snack on any junk, biscuits, chips etc. If you can get in the habit of snacking on simple veges such as carrot and celery, this is good.

7. Steam your veges whenever possible.

8. Increase your daily exercise to an amount which is realistic mediun or long term.

9. Drop butter from diet, or minimise it. You will get used to this.

10. Use low fat milk or skim milk.

The above is what I found very useful very quickly. It is very difficult when you eat with work colleagues or go out to dinner, and fattening food smells so good.

If you wish to lose weight (which is really a by-product of a healthier lifestyle) it must be a lifestyle change, but not unreasonable or neurotic, or it will be impossible. Cut out or minimise the stuff you know is fattening. You dont need a detailed analysis to know takeaway, pizza, thick creamy sauces, fries and fried food goes straight to your waist.

Suagrcane 10 yrs ago
Thanks for the advice. It's lucky that I have more free time these days and thus can have regular work out. I also avoid having fried and deep fried food and consume mainly those steamed ones. I can see the effect within a week!

I found that Facebook really helpful as there also provides recipes for nourishing diet and beauty-related information. I think I am gonna pay a visit to Dr Hoi provided that I heard quite good comments of her from my work out friend.

Melissamerk 10 yrs ago
You meaning Dr. Hoi I Cheng? I visited her once or twice. Her clinic should be located at Central as I remember.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad