which car seats airline approved?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by taurus2006 18 yrs ago
i am travelling next mth and i plan to bring a car seat onboard the airplane for my boy, but i rang cathay pacific and they could not provide me with a list of aircraft approved car seats, or even just name a few so i can buy one. does anyone know which ones can be brought along onboard and are they much smaller than the usual car seats? only forward facing car seats are allowed onboard i heard. mine is rear facing, can't i just turn it to face forward direction or is there an issue with strapping in the car seat into the aircraft seat?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Brit 18 yrs ago
i think that they need to be able to be restrained by a lap belt only, so that cuts out a lot. Ours does its a Britax Freeway, it is a lot thinner - ASk at Bumps to Babes for others or take a look at teh manufacturers websites?

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
The basic constraint, of course, is the width of the seat you will be sitting in. Cathay may not be able to tell you which car seat to buy, but their website can tell you how wide the seat you will be sitting in is, which would depend on both the aircraft and the class of service. We bought a Britax from B2B which has a bit of a narrower seat base, something like 17 inches as I remember, and gives us the flexibility of flying economy class in all aircraft. I don't think we made any compromises on a suitable seat for use in a car btw, we just got one that will also fit into an airline seat.

The basic consideration is that the carseat needs to be completely safe with a seatbelt only constraint. So any rear facing infant seats that require a base are inappropriate.

Mine traveled in a rear facing infant bucket until she was a year old (an Evenflo one that was safe with only a seatbelt), and then moved to the forward facing Britax which she still uses at 3 y.o. on long haul flights.

Mine travels more happily and more safely in a proper carseat, but, I have to say, carseats are heavy and awkward to schlepp around airports. We ended out having a duffle bag carrier custom made here in HK to carry ours, which is much better than carrying without, but still far from ideal.

taurus2006 18 yrs ago
thanks, i will check out cathay website and b2b to get a suitable one

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Taurus--

Not sure if this would meet your needs, but there's a (actually 2) Sit 'N Stroll's on the trading post. The sit 'n stroll is basically a carseat with wheels, it fits an airline seat and then morphs into a buggy to get around the airport. They aren't available here (far as I've seen) so it's good luck to find one used.

ozdb 18 yrs ago
taurus 2006,

We have always flown with our Britax carseat. We had never had any problems (mostly US airlines) until we flew Cathay. Each of the 3 times we have flown Cathay, they have initially told us "no" to a carseat because our son is over 2 yrs. We had to argue the safety issue (a lap belt on the standard airline seat will not safely restrain a 2 yr old) and point out that the carseat is FAA approved for use in flight. They have always reluctantly agreed, but it is a hassle every time we fly Cathay, as their crew seems to be very unfamiliar with carseats and how they are used. Most carseats will have a label on the base somewhere indicating if they are approved for use on airplanes. You should be ok as long as the one you purchase clearly states airplane approved. Good luck.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Curious. We've flown Cathay loads and when we're boarding, Britax in tow, and they try to stop us and put it in the hold, we just say "no, our child will be sitting in this". It's never been a problem.

ascc 18 yrs ago
For those who have flown using a Britax car seat, what model was it? I know the Freeway fits into economy seats, but I have an Eclipse.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Mine's an Asis, it's fit everything--so far.

ozdb 18 yrs ago
ours is the Roundabout admittedly, quite large, but still fits in economy seats

AdelaideMum 18 yrs ago
We flew with an Australian Safe n Sound car seat

(maxi rider). we were told it had to comply with Australian safety standards to use it on Qantas, and we had to tell the airline ahead of time.

my thoughts 18 yrs ago
Sorry Ascc--ours is an Eclipse Si, maybe the same as yours? I came across the instruction booklet today, the carseat itself is says Asis. Maybe I don't know what it is!!!! But I do know it's got a narrow enough base to fit an economy sized seat and a decent recline so baby/toddler can sleep (if so inclined)

ascc 18 yrs ago
Thanks my-thoughts, yours must be an Eclipse as I think ASIS stands for Advanced Side Impact System. Great to have it confirmed that the Eclipse will fit. Cheers!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad