Knife Sharpening

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by shsteve 8 yrs ago
Hi
Anybody know where to get some knives sharpened?
All the treads are 8 or 9 years old and I cannot find the place they recommended.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 8 yrs ago
http://www.pantry-magic.com/?utm_source=asiaxpat.com

hongkongmum 8 yrs ago
There is a very old man (he looks like he is 100 years old and seemed to be doing this for ever) near 2 Seymour Road around 11 am every Sunday who plys his trade by screaming at the top of his lungs something in Chinese but he sharpens knives and I think is the last of his kind in Hong Kong. I have to add that he is a mobile workshop and carries his gear with him. You cannot miss him on Sundays.

shsteve 8 yrs ago
Thank you both.
Seymour Road a bit out of the way as I am in Shatin, but it sounds like a HK experience :)

Pantry Magic sounds like a plan.
Any idea on costs? veg knife: 12 cm or cooks knife: 25 cm

Ed 8 yrs ago
Not sure on price ---- but note:ChaChawan is just up the street and Duocente Italian - two awesome restaurants.... a bit of an adventure with good food

Ringo23 8 yrs ago
I'm in Sai Kung and a hobbyist knife maker/collector.
I can sharpen for you but probably better that you buy yourself a stone or two and check youtube for how-to vids.
I looked into offering knife sharpening as a service but people seemed to balk at paying more than $20 per knife so I didn't bother. A knife in good repair might take a few swipes on the stone and it's done; a beaten up knife can take a few hours to grind out the chips and reestablish proper geometry. Couple that with pick up and delivery and you're losing money at $20 per knife.
And when you can pick up a brand new 'Made in China' knife for that price, what's the point?

It's an easy skill to acquire and one that you keep using which is why I think you're better off getting a stone.

shsteve 8 yrs ago
Just got 3 of the knifes sharpened @ $20 each at Pantry Magic.
They had a large industrial knife sharpener on the bench which I think they used.

The knives are so much sharper than before (not hard) and they also do ceramic, scalloped and one sided knives (Japanese knives).

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad