Baby bottles with bisphenol-A

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bbvv 17 yrs ago
I have been using Avent for my baby's formula and heard that it contains bisphenol-A. How serious should we take this as if such products are over the dangerous limit, I'm sure it will be taken off the shops. I know many parents using this make as well as other makes that have bisphenol-A Can anyone recommend safe bottles.?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
lasez 17 yrs ago
I went to Jusco yesterday and they removed AVENT and DR Brown's polycarbonate bottles from the shelves. You can find BFree and Dr Brown bottles made from polypropylene there (labeled "PES" - opaque color) which are supposed to be safe. And there is also glass bottle from Chu Chu (but my baby does not like the teat).

Bfree site: http://www.babybfree.com/Default.aspx?pid=255

Some articles relating to bisphenol-A.

http://www.babybottle.org/freq_01.html

http://www.plasticsinfo.org/s_plasticsinfo/sec_level3_collapsed.asp?CID=702&DID=2830

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/27/news/baby_bottles.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007022720

bbvv 17 yrs ago
I went to Eugene today at Central and they are still selling the Avent bottles. I wonder how many other shops are taking this make off their shelves.

Just looked at the website how much are the Bfree bottles sold in Jusco as I'm going over there on Saturday. Also I assumed they have both the plastic and glass ones.

Also Dr Browns have bisphenol-A too in your above link.

lasez 17 yrs ago
Dr Browns "clear" bottle leaches bisphenol-A. Not the "opaque" ones with a label "PES" on it. I can't find any Bfree glass bottles. The ones I see on the shelves are plastic "opaque" ones, also with a label "PES" - supposed to be safe as it's made from polypropylene plastic.

bbvv 17 yrs ago
Thanks for reply quickly lasez - do you know how much the Bfree plastic bottles cost in Jusco?

lasez 17 yrs ago
bbvv,

Just popped by Jusco to take a look - the bottles are on sale. 80.70 each

bbvv 17 yrs ago
Thanks, lasez - price is pretty steep for a bottle but if it's safe then an investment.

lasez 17 yrs ago
I bought a Chu Chu glass bottle (with blue cap NOT yellow cap) and it's selling for 58 bucks. I took the last one on the shelf & I'm not too sure if they will replenish the stock. You can check it out.

esque 17 yrs ago
Also you can get medela bottles (no teats tho!) and MAM bottles (coloured plastic) in Mothercare, both BPA-free.

I've heard Pigeon makes a glass bottle too, may be at Eugene.

HK2 17 yrs ago
hi, bbvv,

where is the Eugene shop in Central?

Also, where did you here about Avent and other bottles not beeing safe? I've missed out on that info. . . .

Thanks.

bbvv 17 yrs ago
Hi HK2, Eugene shop, Queen's Road Central (next to H&M previously the old Lane Crawford)

Heard about Avent bottles and other through this:

http://kcbs.com/pages/268059.php?con...ntentId=350274

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/27/news...ion=2007022720

Nula 17 yrs ago
I was worried about this as well but after doing a little digging on the internet I found that the scare seems to be sensationalised and is not as dire as it has been made out. Have a look at this website for a more balanced view with up to date testing info.

http://www.bisphenol-a.org/

To be on the safe side buy new bottles and don't boil them with liquid/milk in them as they did when testing for BPA! I am not putting the bottles in the dishwasher and I am sterlising them with milton.

bbvv 17 yrs ago
Hi Nula,

How about milk being kept in the bottle warmer? Mine takes sometimes upto an hour to finish his milk up hence the need to put the milk in a warmer to keep warm otherwise he will not drink it.

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
sorry to resurrect an old thread but i just got an email from annerley today about this issue. they made the recommendation to switch to glass or bpa free bottles. has there been any further / more recent findings on this? are people still using advent? they said there there is a shortage of bpa free bottles on the market in HK. my baby is almost 1 and could be weaned from a bottle soon but isn't this bpa in alot of other plastic utensils that we use??

smsm 16 yrs ago
Sashimi girl, glad that u resurrected this thread..been thinking of the same issue too..mine too is just 1 and is on avent..been wondering which one to switch to...what are other parents doing...which bottles are being widely used...would be very grateful of any inputs reg this..

thanks a lot

flowers-daffodil 16 yrs ago
my daughter was on avent from birth to 17 months (2 months ago). i had been sterilising her bottles during that period and warming her milk up in the bottles. so with the recent recall of avent bottles and the news in HK, i am quite distressed that i could have done something to harm her health. i try not to think about the past and i have changed bottles. For the last 2 months i've been using a BFree glass bottle and chuchu plastic bottle (I bougth both brands at BeBe Dream). I am not sterilising them now.

But what about the pacifiers and other sippy cups, straws and other baby foodware (e.g plates, bowls) that we wash in warm/hot water? Will there be a problem there too?

I assume pacifiers are either made of silicone or rubber so there's no problem there. But what about the handle which will be sterilised etc?

You can buy BFree glass bottle and the chu

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
Sorry but may i ask if something happened in recent times in HK that led to " a shortage of BPA free bottles as stated in annerely email? Also is Dr Brown's bottles ok? which are the other BPA free brands?

thanks.

crj 16 yrs ago
This is a great question...

Here are three useful links (1 and 2 thanks to MilkMonsterLaughs). We use Nuby cups with a straw for our 1 year old and 2 year old. I used to get them in HK at Eugene Club. In Beijing I haven't found anything similar, but I saw NUK glass bottles (not sippy cups) at Lufthansa Centre today.

These are in order of reading – it will make most sense to read them 1, 2, then 3…

1. the basics - http://www.enviroblog.org/2008/04/cheatsheet-bisphenol-a-bpa.htm

2. overview of safe and not safe products - http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-on-bpa-in-infant-care-products.html

3. specifically on Nuby - http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/which-nuby-bottles-and-sippy-cups-are-really-bpa-free/

Also, IKEA plates, etc.. are all okay (thanks again to MML)

If China is blocking, you might need to access via anonymouse.org

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
Many thanks, Portia and Crj.

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
One more qn: Would I be right to presume that this issue also apply to the baby pacifiers? If so, which brands of pacificer would be BPA-free?

crj 16 yrs ago
Yes, it absolutely applies to pacifiers - check the link above for the brands you use and safe brands.

Overview of safe and not safe products - http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-on-bpa-in-infant-care-products.html

You might need to google for more information if your brand isn't listed.

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
Would appreciate recommendations for BPA-free steriliser?

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
mums... just want to let you know that i bought a BFree bottle (from Wing On but also available at B2B) the other day which is great (BPA free) BUT the nipple is very soft and my baby kept collapsing the nipple resulting in milk spilling everywhere! nightmare!!! luckily the advent nipples fit the BFree bottles perfectly and don't collapse, so just use the advent nipple instead. just my two cents!

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
sashimi girl, isn't the brand "AVENT" not BPA-free. so a BPA-free bottle but not BPA-free nipple? just a question, as I am not sure if the nipple also risk containing BPA, just like pacifiers

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
oh? i didn't know BPA was in nipples... i just thought bottles... argghhhh. does anyone know for sure?

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
Sashimi Girl, see below, something i found when I googled for BPA in nipples. Seems like nipples also have some traces of it...

Rubber Nipples

Many bottle nipples are made of rubber, which may contain low levels of contaminants known as nitrosamines. These substances, found also in some foods and in tobacco, cause cancer in lab animals and contribute to tobacco-related cancers in people. Nitrosamines can be ingested through bottle nipples; however it is unknown whether this kind of exposure increases the risk of cancer. Because of cancer concerns, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the amount of nitrosamines allowable in rubber nipples, but low levels are still permissible.

smsm 16 yrs ago
where do one look to see whether the bottle is bpa free..i mean how do u make out when buying one..i was at eugene club today and they have lots of brands...but couldnt see any numbering on these bottles...

crj 16 yrs ago
The only way to tell, is to research the specific products on the web, and if you can't find the informaiton on somewhere like http://thesoftlanding.wordpress.com/ (or some of the other links in the post above) you can write to the manufacturers.

Good luck.

funbobby 16 yrs ago
Manning has Pigeon glass bottles at $27 per

the goddess kali 16 yrs ago
i though bpa leached out at high temperatures only. so if the milk or formula is at about 40 degrees it should be ok or not?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"i though bpa leached out at high temperatures only. so if the milk or formula is at about 40 degrees should it not be ok or not?"

That is my impression. Seeing as we have never put a bottle in the microwave...

minidom 16 yrs ago
Generally using plastic always carries some risk so ideally its best to avoid it. Even relatively only tepid or warm liquid can cause leaching.

When we were using bottles we used glass bottles (pigeon brand) from Jusco which I don't think exists here any more but I guess you can get other glass bottles as Funbobby said. They worked fine - the only thing was our baby took longer to hold the bottle herself than her peers cos it was heavier..but she soon caught on. Silicone nipples are safer apparently.

There are different numbers on the various bottles, sippy cups, containers and we always tried to find no. 2 or 4. Avoid 1 and number 7. Avoid anything which has no number at all - its probably cheaper and made in places with less stringent labelling - hence probably (but maybe not) more toxic.

We also avoided PVC in all forms - lining of bibs, toys, bottles etc although for some things you can't avoid it (eg paddling pools!). Avoid cling film on hot foods - use foil instead.

As a minimum wipe or wash everything plastic you buy before giving it to a child (or yourself) - even things like plastic laminated cards or toys - if they smell funny then they are worse is my unscientific rule of thumb. It sounds like a drag but it can be done and you can still get the advantages of using plastic tubs etc.

See here for more information on the grades

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/03/29/plastic_water_bottles or http://www.thegreenguide.com/products/Kitchen/Plastic_Containers (guide to numbers)

See here for some useful and doable tips on having a less toxic household...

http://www.lesstoxicguide.ca/print.asp?fetch=babycare#wipes

funbobby 16 yrs ago
ummm...i did say Pigeon bottles...they do exist in Jusco as well as Manning (and who knows where else...)

minidom 16 yrs ago
Sorry I didn't read everything word for word...I missed the fact you said Pigeon....my other point was that I wasnn't sure if Jusco still exists in HK as the big one I know closed down and I haven't seen another branch...either way they are cheap and safe and available as you say

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
sorry, very stupid question - I presume one can use glass bottles in microwave to warm milk up? And sterilise them as well But then as someone said - surely steriliser (mine is avent!!!) leaks as well? Oh, what shock horror... Mine are nearly two, well overdue to get them off the bottle, so that might speed it up!!

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
also - does anyone know if Pigeon nipples are safe? they dont seem to be on the safe/un-safe products list?

funbobby 16 yrs ago
bpa is found in polycarbonate (the hard plastic), not latex or silicone, so I'd think nipples are safe (any brand) as portia and sashimi girl noted earlier...it's the teat holder on pacifiers that may contain bpa...

smsm 16 yrs ago
Hi all...so net net is my conclusion correct:

1. Its best to go for glass bottles as compared to even a bisphanol free plastic bottle such as bfree

2. Since the risk is when the bottle is subjected to high temp, if i dont boil or sterilise the regular brand bottles such as avent, the risk is minimised and its ok to continue using that.

thanks

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
well they say that regular wear and tear of the plastic will cause the BPA to leach out - so not just when it is subject to high temperatures. high temps put more stress on the plastic therefore more chance of leakage.

my question now is... what about the kettles we are boiling the water in? eg i have a black braun kettle that is entirely made out of plastic. aren't we just pouring contaminated water into our new BPA free bottles?

funbobby 16 yrs ago
are you sure it doesn't have a stainless steel liner? Many kettles have a stay-cool outer shell of plastic but the water is boiled inside a metal jacket...

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
has anyone found any safe pacifiers in HK? I am so tired of printing out lists of safe ones, going around shops and trying to find any? I have managed so far

1) to replace my bottles with Free ones (with Avent nipples - they are silicone hence I understand are ok?)

2) buy a whole bunch of Pirex glass bowls for heating up kids food

but I am failing misserably on pacifier front! One of mine is still on it - and she is nearly 2 so i need the older baby type... Grateful for any tips on what to buy and where!!

omaharrison 16 yrs ago
Don't go over the top with the BPA thing, it's a never ending thing. People strat talking about kettles and stuff. You are going to find yourself asking about BPA in toys, dishes for kids( after you put the hot food that you heated up in the glass bowls) and even the buttons of the clothes. Because all of these things come in contact with heat wether in dishwasher, washing machine and so on.

I am not saying give them anything and not to worry, but don't go too deep into this whole scare.

Every few years they come up with a new discovery of an unhealthy substance in the bottles, teats, the cans of the food or whatever they want to look into.

And about the pacifier, so just wash it clean with no heat, the baby gets only the silicone part in his/her mouth.

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
I agree, there is always something, but we all just try to do the best we can in any given point in time.. this is what I am doing at the moment - I just wash her pacifier in warm water, no heat... You just want to give them best start in life really...

omaharrison 16 yrs ago
ldsllvn- you sound just like my wife, LOL

"You just want to give them best start in life really... " these are actually the words she uses as well.

omaharrison 16 yrs ago
These might give you a direction as to which type of pacifiers to look for. Good luck :)

http://www.naturemoms.com/blog/2008/02/11/bpa-free-pacifiers-and-teethers/

http://safemama.com/2008/01/04/bpa-free-pacifiers-and-teethers-cheat-sheet/

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
Can someone please confirm that so long as the pacifier is made of silicone, it is ok ? As Avent pacifier is also made of silicone, not latex. My little prince is fussy about the pacifiers, only AVENT seems to work.

THanks

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
Germaine - they are indeed made of silicone but set in plastic - so I guess as long as you dont sterilize them or wash them in very hot water, they are ok? That's my understanding anyway..

neenib 16 yrs ago
I have been reading this thread for a while now and I have to say I feel like we are just getting overly paranoid. I used Avent bottles when I stopped breastfeeding my first child and with my second on the way, I also have Avent bottles. After reading this thread i contact Avent directly and they sent their standards report to me. Australia New Zealand Food & Safety Standards are extremely strict and if there was any threat of contamination or toxic leakage, then the product would not be on the shelves. Below i have pasted the press release from Avent (Philips) on the BPA issue. I just worry that people can get mixed messages from different places. If anyone is interested, I also had the official certificate emailed to me to show the testing and authorities results.

Philips AVENT Statement on Bisphenol A (BPA) April 2008

Philips AVENT is aware of media reports focusing on Bisphenol A (BPA) and polycarbonate. We would like to help our customers better understand why Philips AVENT, as well as other companies, use these materials.

Polycarbonates are used in thousands of consumer products such as reusable food containers, lifesaving medical devices and sport safety equipment. Manufacturers of such products, including baby bottles, rely upon polycarbonates because they prevent cracking, shattering and other hazards that can lead to injuries. The key concern for parents is whether leaching from polycarbonate bottles causes harm.

The effects of leached BPA have been studied extensively by regulatory agencies, including the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ). Various governing bodies have found as follows:

1. In January 2008, the FDA reconfirmed its long standing view regarding the safety of polycarbonate for food contact, including baby feeding bottles. The FDA has indicated that it actively reviews the safety of BPA and recently completed a review of available data obtained from animal studies, and migration studies. Based on the results of the migration studies conducted by FDA chemists, the FDA determined that the “dietary exposure to BPA is orders of magnitude below the levels known to cause toxic effects in animals.”

2. International regulatory agencies responsible for consumer protection, including the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), the UK Food Standards Agency, the German Federal Institute of Risk Assessment, and the Japanese Ministry of Health have all studied the use of BPA and concluded that it can be used in the manufacture of baby bottles.

3. In April 2008, Food Standards Australia New Zealand issued a new fact sheet on Bisphenol A (BPA) and food packaging. In this fact sheet, FSANZ concluded “Bisphenol A does not cause cancer.” FSANZ also agrees with the risk assessment conducted by the EFSA and “considers the regulatory management of BPA in Australia and New Zealand is sufficient to protect consumer health.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/newsroom/factsheets/factsheets2008/bisphenolabpaandfood3898.cfm

Philips AVENT is committed to meeting or exceeding the standards set by the FDA and all other acknowledged authorities around the world. All plastics used in Philips AVENT products are FDA-approved and recognized as “safe for food contact application.” Philips AVENT Bottles are also independently tested in accordance with and comply with the latest European Standard for Drinking Equipment for Children-EN14350: 2004 which looks specifically at the acceptable daily intake of BPA for children. By looking to these acknowledged authorities, Philips AVENT will continue to deliver the best products to customers.

We always strive to meet the needs of parents and babies, which is why our current range of infant feeding products includes several interchangeable systems that all use the same nipple. Some of these products, including the Philips AVENT Via Feeding System and Magic range (Cups and Sportster) are made from materials other than polycarbonate, hence BPA-free.

Our bottles have been and will continue to be used by millions of healthy babies in over 70 countries worldwide.

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
neenib, maybe so. The article says "acceptable levels of BPA" - why should there be acceptable levels. It is a toxic chemical that we put into our babies from the day they are born? I find in unnecessary. If you can buy toxic free products, wouldnt you rather do that for your child?

neenib 16 yrs ago
I absolutely agree with you ldsllvn, there should be alternatives out there. I just felt that it all seemed to going out of control and sometimes it's good to have some written informatioin from companies. I guess if I hadn't already bought bottles from Avent, then I may have thought about purchasing glass or different kinds.

It certainly goes to show how much has changed since our parent's had children and that parents won't accept what the companies give out. Just like to going to the doctor, our parents and grandparent never would think of questioning a doctor, but we do it and that's our right. I certainly am not in any way trivalising the issue, just trying to provide information that I have received.

flowers-daffodil 16 yrs ago
i have been using avent pacifiers for my 20month daughter and I am still sterilising them - the reason being that water collects inside the silicone part of the pacifier and I feel better if I sterilised it (even if I squeezed out the water). Should I be worried about bacteria build up inside the silicone part of the pacifier? I'm also worried about the BPA in the plastic handle of the pacifier and so should I stop sterilising the pacifier even with the water inside the silicone part?

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
I stoped sterilising. The thing is you dont have to sterilise after they are 1 yr old anyway. If you wash them properly, that is enough - remember a little bit of bacteria is good for kids anyway - builds up their immune system

funbobby 16 yrs ago
kinda makes you wonder (at least the conspiracy theorists among us) how hard (expensive) can it be to produce BPA free bottles. I mean, bottle companies may be secretly wringing their hands with glee at the opportunity to market another line of product with potentially little outlay on their side. Now they can sell glass, poly-carb AND BPA-free poly-carb (at a higher price!) and look like heroes doing it...reminds me of the 'New Coke' roll-out in the late 80's...Coke changes their formula, calls it 'New' Coke and wins some new customers. But the old ones hate the stuff...."No problem," Coke says. "We'll just re-issue the old formula, call it 'Coke Classic', and please everyone." Now they're selling two formulas and looking like really consumer-friendly corporate citizens, laughing all the way to the bank. Not to mention all the other 'niche' Coke flavors they now have...

dianang 16 yrs ago
i want to buy born free bottles in hong kong, where can i find one? anyway, i'm letting my kids used the avent pacifier, is it bpa-free safe?

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
Bumps to Babes has a very big selection.

Loads of info on Avent and BPA here http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_categoryid_PHILIPS_AVENT_ON_BPA_AR_US_CONSUMER/

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
are those BPA free ADVENT bottles available at Bumps to Babes yet?? i am using the B-free bottles that are constantly leaking and driving me NUTS!!!

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"are those BPA free ADVENT bottles available at Bumps to Babes yet?? i am using the B-free bottles that are constantly leaking and driving me NUTS!!!"

You can call them and ask.

Another point: We use Dr. Brown and leaks are not a problem. BPA free are at B2B now.

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
yeah i called. they don't have it. the woman recommended dr brown too. can you fit the avent nipple on that one? that's what i did with the b-free ones cos my son won't take any other teat. (but that is not the source of the leakage, it's the rim that leaks. so annoying!)

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"the woman recommended dr brown too. can you fit the avent nipple on that one?"

Maybe. We fitted a Pigeon nipple on Dr. Brown for a while and it worked fine but no guarantees.

smsm 16 yrs ago
Yes leaking in Bfree bottles is such a pain...i thought it was the avent nipple which i fitted in causes the leak but apparently not...maybe will try dr brown bottles with avent nipple...

Ed 13 yrs ago
Is BPA Causing Asthma?

http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/05/02/bpa-linked-to-childhood-asthma/

ChewbaccaWookiees 12 yrs ago
Has anyone here used life factory glass bottles before, how does it compare with the traditional plastic bottles ?

I live in Hong Kong

kaleanabryce 10 yrs ago
hi how about im using this pigeon baby bottles i bought 2 pigeon brands baby bottles are these bottles safe for my baby?shes just 2weeks old now sinced she dont want my breastmilk so shes taking formula milk...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad