Anybody understanding music - pls help! String Duo

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by expatinhk 18 yrs ago
This might be a strange question to some but if there is anyone who understands music, could you let me know the best ensemble for a string duo?

1. Two violins?

2. One violin and one viola?

3. One violin and one cello?

It's for a smaller happy outdoor function - thanks lots ;-)

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
TC 18 yrs ago
Despite the fact that I love a cello it is possible that the more-mellow sound of the cello might make it too 'dull'. If you are after an 'exciting' sound then the pair of violins might be better. But it all depends on the music they play, I guess.

expatinhk 18 yrs ago
Thanks raincatcher and TC. TC, I am thinking of starting with some faster classics and then changing onto tango, faster movie classics etc.

Nothing too dramatic or slow, as it is for someone's birthday :-)

expatinhk 18 yrs ago
They don't have double bass in the repertoire :-(

expatinhk 18 yrs ago
Thanks! Wondering why not pick violin and a viola? I thought they might be good together as I read somewhere that viola has only slightly lower tones than violin? Why are two violins better? (Sorry. last time I am asking)...

TC 18 yrs ago
Nothing wrong with the viola (a bloated violin). The combined violin/viola sound will present an interesting variation to the twin fiddles. Not as 'exciting' a sound (depending on music and how played) - something akin to the debate between a pair of trumpets and a trumpet & french horn combination. Either would be nice, as long as the musos are good and the music is enjoyable.

expatinhk 18 yrs ago
Hi again. Arrrggggghhh, was just presented with two additional alternatives:

1. flute and violin

2. flute and guitar

so that's in addition to

3. two violins

4. violin and viola

How am I to choose when I am not an expert?? And there are no demos... Yes, I can recognise the instruments and their sound but how they would go together is a different story.

Please can you help???

TC 18 yrs ago
For the occasion I'd give the new suggestions a miss. But have you considered a cor anglais and a set of timpani? (Only joking!)

Katetam 18 yrs ago
my personal opinion would be a violin and a cello as well. The violine and cello will create a more balanced and complete sound as someone already mentioned. Think of it as a duet between a woman and a man's voice. Two violins will be like two women, although may have different voice pitch (higher or lower)... the sound is still a woman's. Violin and a Viola... think of it as a teenager boy/girl, and a older man/woman. (Same gender).

The BEST for such an occasion in my opinion would be piano and violin duo.

rift2 18 yrs ago
If you have to have 2 string instruments, I will second violin + cello. Avoid the viola (unless you have a string quartet--when you need something to fill it in); you will end up not hearing its sound anyway. If the two instrumentalists are playing arrangments from exsisting pieces, you need a solid bass instrument (cello) and the treble (violin). If you are going to commssion a composer to write a new piece, cor anglais and a set of timpani would be a very interesting combination though!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad