Good Place to Live?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by ny1 18 yrs ago
I will be moving to Hong Kong for the first time from NY and was wondering where to look to live. I have a wife but no kids. We are in our thirties. We like to take it easy outside of work but also enjoy shopping and urban lifestyle. Any advice would be appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/momsdads/threads/81020.asp

this is another thread - some of it may not apply to you as there are some comments regarding children, but there is lots of details about the variety of locations in HK.

ny1 18 yrs ago
To be more specific, I would really like not to spend more than $2000USD per month. Can I get a decent place for this amount? I don't think I can live in quarters smaller than 800 sq ft.

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
$2000 USD is around $15000 HK. Depends on where you want to live? For that amount of money, and that size, you're going to have to live outside of central, midlevels and instead maybe to a location with a further commute. (actually unclear about where you will be working - so maybe it's not an issue.)

did a quick search for you on a real estate website.

http://www.hongkonghomes.com/hong_kong_property/eng/for_rent/property_list.php?keywords=&direct=&form_cmp_cnty_id=1&form_cmp_pvc_id3=N&rental_fr=&rental_to=*&size_fr=&size_to=*&form_cmp_pvc_id=N&form_cmp_pvc_id2=N&br_fr=1&br_to=3&age=0#historypage0

you can find things under $14000 but you're in ApLeiChau which is quite far from Central. (again - making an assumption that you are working in Central.) Play around with the website and see what you find.

ny1 18 yrs ago
hkchoichoi,

thanks for your reply. i will be working in Central, but don't mind a commute of 30 minutes or less. i will check out the website. what are some of the better areas I should be looking at -- an area that is compatible with expats and foreigners and koreans...

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Hi -

assuming you're korean American? (my husband and I are too.) TaikooShing has a lot of Koreans from Korea, who work for Korean firms. (LG, Samsung et.al.) but rents are considerably cheaper out there. There are lots of Japanese in that area and they have a very nice large grocery store (UNY JUSCO) which actually has quite a few Korean products.

since you have no children, you have a bit more flexibility since you don't have to worry about location to school - and a commute of 30 minutes in HK means that you could live virtually anywhere - even some of the NT areas. A lot of people are living at Gold Coast - there is a link somewhere on this website. The developents there are very new and people seem to like it.

Otherwise there is Discovery Bay - no cars there, supposedly cleaner air (most tell me not really) and it's a boat ride into central every day. Some people like the boat ride and some don't - it's up to you to decide.

My husband and I lived in Midlevels - we liked it very much there. rents are considerably higher there, but location is nice in terms of convenience, especially if your wife isn't doing anything at first. (I wasn't doing anything for a few months and at least I was close enough to go and do some shopping and stuff while in midlevels.)

I did another search on that website i sent and there are some places in Midlevels that are around $20000. But very small. (under 700 sq.ft.)

ny1 18 yrs ago
hkchoichoi,

thanks a lot for your reply. i did some research myself into areas such as the Gold Coast and Discovery Bay and the Midlevels. I honestly think the Midlevels are a bit too expensive for my taste, and the Gold Coast and Discovery Bay areas seem a bit cheaper but more isolated. I don't mind a bit of isolation as long as the necessary amenities are available and we're still relatively well connected. How are these areas for a younger couple like us, and is there anything to do in these areas that may appeal to us? How about the area in which many Koreans live? I wouldn't mind trying to integrate myself into such a community, but is it an area that is livable and active? Are the Koreans there friendly to expat Korean-Americans?

hkchoichoi 18 yrs ago
Koreans generally like koreans. Even Korean Americans. My husband and I had quite a few Koreans from Korea and enjoyed their company and they were very warm and accepting. They also helped me find some hard to find Korean groceries and for the most part relationships with them were not difficult.

Both DB and Gold Coast have great amenities, shopping and easy access to food and whatnot. Central is where most of the action is however - and if your wife doesn't mind riding a bus or a shuttle to go into central I wouldn't think living out there would be a problem. Lots of expats choose to live out there for rental reasons and whatnot.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad