ipod & new computer

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by returnee 18 yrs ago
Hi, does anyone know how I can use my ipod with my new computer without losing my entire library of songs. I am not very computer litirate so if you can keep it basic that would be a great help! Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
matt24 18 yrs ago
I think you'd be better posting this on the apple forums

http://discussions.apple.com/search!default.jspa

From this site, you will probably only get people guessing.

hkkm 18 yrs ago
How did you get the songs onto your iPod in the first place? I'm assuming that you used iTunes or some other software to transfer them from your old computer onto your iPod. If this is the case you need to transfer your iTunes library (or other software library) from your old computer to your new computer and everything should be the same as it was before. You may want to get a computer-literate friend to help you do this because without seeing your computer it's hard to give the exact instructions.

If you don't have your library of songs on your old computer, then you will need to download one of the software programs that will allow you to transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer. This software is not supported by Apple so you can't do it from within iTunes, but the Apple forums mentioned above will give you pointers to the relevant software. Again, it's probably better to get a computer-literate friend to help you with this.

returnee 18 yrs ago
Thank you for your help matt24 and hkkm - will go on the apple forums for advice. Unforunately don't have old computer any more so can't do direct transfer. Hopefully will work something out.

ichthys 18 yrs ago
You might get help from the apple forums but I think its actually against the license agreements or some BS.

I did a quick google search for "retrieve ipod music" and came up with this

http://www.minds.may.ie/~dez/serendipity/index.php?/archives/26-How-to-get-music-off-your-iPod.html

hkkm 18 yrs ago
So you got rid of the old computer without copying your stuff off the hard drive? Not a very smart move...

returnee 18 yrs ago
thanks hkkm but not quite that stupid - old computer is in storage in the Uk and I'm in Hk with new one, was not cost effective to ship old one (desk top) back over here. Will eventually be able to use tht one again but while i'm here would like to be able to still add to my ipod.

ichthys - thanks for your contsructive help, will check out that link.

hkkm 18 yrs ago
OK, sorry for my 'negative' thoughts about you. The link posted by ichthys looks really useful and should work.

returnee 18 yrs ago
forgiven hkkm. The link was fantastic and easy to follow so my ipod is now hooked up and I've already started to add new music - thanks again ichthys!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad