Playtown birthday party etiquette

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by meiji 14 yrs ago
I like to ask some parents about this problem I am having.

Planning a birthday party for my kid at Playtown. Playtown 's policy is one child with one free adult.

As host, I have to pay for every child who comes.

So my husband and I have agreed that maximum budget we can extend is to 1 child and 2 adults, we would pay for the extra parent that wants to come.

However, now as RSVP s are coming in, alot of the guests' parents call and say they want to bring the entire family to the party ! I don't want to say, if I say NO, it makes me look very stingy and cheap, but honestly, I have no interest in paying for every classmate's siblings, I have no idea how many there are ! Also, how about all the helpers, and relatives like grandma and grandpa...etc. ?

I don't want to go bankrupt after this birthday party!

Please advise what is the best way to handle this?

Thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 14 yrs ago
I would be a bit blunt. These people are clearly not giving it any thought.

You can start by gently saying that really, you want the party for your kid's friends. If they don't get the hint, say that you will be happy for others to come but you will not pay.

It might seem blunt but...

michelley 14 yrs ago
agree....if the above suggestions still make u a bit uncomfortable. you can tell a little white lie:

say that Playtown says they are really full on that day and they've given us a limit on the number of people we can have. and that really just comes down to one child and 2 adults per family.

meiji 14 yrs ago
OK, will do that. Thanks.

cd 14 yrs ago
How old will the children be? If the child is under 5, then maybe 1 parent would want to stay, but unless the party is for a very close friend where the families regularly get together, then I would be blunt and say only 1 parent per child. I think HK is notoriously bad for having people bring all their relatives/helpers etc to parties. I have told helpers several times that they can come back after the party has finished, and I've said no to siblings before when asked.

Zorglub 14 yrs ago
"I'm sorry, we can't accomodate so many people" should really do it, nothing to be embarrassed about, you don't even need to mention the cost issue.

When my kids turned 5, I simply specified drop off and pick up times on the invite... When they're younger, they usually feel shy to be left alone, plus they need more supervision and people to take them to the loo.

Most parents got the message that they and extended family were not expected to stay. That said, I never invited the whole class, just my kids' friends (and my friends' kids...), and of course it is different when organising at a venue that has regulations as to accompanying adults. I think a lot has to do with the wording in the invite.

Parents who were uncomfortable with leaving their child soon realised the child was doing fine, or didn't come.

Another thing that worked well was spelling out that only cake and soft drinks would be served (in so many words). THAT kept the boozers/BBQers away.

meiji 14 yrs ago
Just to tell everyone, the party went fine, no extra costs, and Playtown was very good handling my requests and helped me kept the situation all under control.

Parents were very cooperative too, except for ONE, who still brought a helper.

Thanks!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad