Hutong, worth this much?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by heygirl 18 yrs ago
my family is coming over, and i am planning christmas holiday with my family. called Hutong today (never been there, just heard of it)and they said they only have set dinner which iw $880. you guys think this is worth is? (for x-mas eve). or too much?

any alternative suggestion? i would like to go for good chinese food + view... ta

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Guv 18 yrs ago
I think this is definitely worth it. They have a minimum spend of $600 per person on any normal night anyway. so the 280 premium given its around chrimbo sounds ok. They will aslo most probably have their most famous dishes too in the set meal. dishes such as soft shell chilli crab starter and lamb rib for main. Great setting overlooking the city and great service. hope this helps

beachball 18 yrs ago
Is it really HKD600 minimum spend per person - I seem to recall less than that.

In any case, if you are looking for a spectacular setting/view, Hutong is a good bet (so are the other restaurants mentioned, maybe to a slightly lesser extent). However, food is only so-so and some items are not truly authentic Chinese. Service is ok, nothing special.

So you have to look at it as a package: Food alone is definitely not worth the money. Together with setting it might be - I certainly take quite a few tourists passing through town there for the combination.

kimmy 18 yrs ago
I think it's around hkd300 minimum spend per person, not including drinks.

beezeebody 18 yrs ago
It's 'modern' northern chinese food.

Switch the beggar's chicken for something else because the last time I tried, the meat is so mushy that it's like the chef over-cooked and the meat is worse than canned chicken.

The prawns(or lobster pieces, cant remember) came in a huge receptable but the whole plate is full of huge pieces of chillies / pepper (approx 1" by 1"). And I had to stir and stir to fish out because not sure if there are anymore among the chilli pepper. This dish is really a rip-off.

You wont get the traditional hot & sour soup, or any other famous Szechuan / Shanghainese / Bejing dishes at all. NOT even Beijing Roast Duck.

The view is very good but you may not be assigend a table next to the window.

Another alternative is to go to the char siu shop for Roasted Goose, then go to AQua (within the same building) for drinks. No reservations here by the way.

beezeebody 18 yrs ago
It's 'modern' northern chinese food.

Switch the beggar's chicken for something else because the last time I tried, the meat is so mushy that it's like the chef over-cooked and the meat is worse than canned chicken.

The prawns(or lobster pieces, cant remember) came in a huge receptable but the whole plate is full of huge pieces of chillies / pepper (approx 1" by 1"). And I had to stir and stir to fish out because not sure if there are anymore among the chilli pepper. This dish is really a rip-off.

You wont get the traditional hot & sour soup, or any other famous Szechuan / Shanghainese / Bejing dishes at all. NOT even Beijing Roast Duck.

The view is very good but you may not be assigend a table next to the window.

Another alternative is to go to the char siu shop for Roasted Goose, then go to AQua (within the same building) for drinks. No reservations here by the way.

julietravel 18 yrs ago
The view there is superb. It depends what you value more. Otherwise, the alternative is to go to Aqua for drinks to see the same view. Good luck!

retailjunkie 18 yrs ago
It's a good place to watch fireworks, just as long as your table is right next to the window.

calla 18 yrs ago
but take a jumper/pashmina with you, it's freezing in there!!! very nice ambience and great for entertaining, but the food wasn't overly memorable for me (unlike the bill)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad