responsibility of visa sponsor

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mary11 14 yrs ago
Anyone who knows what a dependant visa sponsor really is responsible for?

I am getting divorced. My husband is on dependancy visa, the visa just expired. Immigration told me, if I renew his visa (me being the sponsor) he will be granted another 2 years. I am leaving HK in March 2010 and loose my work visa, whereas he can keep his dependant visa for the granted 2 years. He wants to stay. Since I am getting divorced I do not really want to be responsible for him anymore.

In the legal sense what is a sponsor responsible for? What could happen? in case of medical needs, or accident...?

Would appreciate help. Thanks, Mary

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 14 yrs ago
You're really not responsible to do anything for your husband (soon to be ex-husband). In your situation, you will be doing him a favor by sponsoring/extending his dependent's visa. If you hate him then you could spite him by not doing so!

When the visa is extended, he can be on his own (he's going to be responsible for himself).

Shoe Girl 14 yrs ago
Mary, when it comes time to doing the extension of visa, on the form there is a question which states something to the effect, "Have your circumstances changed?' If you're getting divorced, then your circumstances have indeed in changed. The only way you can continue sponsoring your husband is if you tick no, in which case you will be breaking the law by making a false declaration, which is a very serious offence.

I would strongly urge you not to do this. If your husband wants to stay in HKG, I suggest he finds a job with an employer who is willing to sponsor him and then applies to the Immigration Department for a change of status from a dependant to an employment visa.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad